Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:00:09 PM

Author Topic: Smooth Stepper MDI problem  (Read 9643 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Smooth Stepper MDI problem
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 08:10:11 AM »
Now you talk about it I seem to recall that Daniel had an issue with MDI, If I recall it was ok if he jogged first but then again I think it was possibly only after a feedhold. Plugin update cured that so it wont be neptunes  problem as he is using the latest one but I suppose it could still be related and needing looked at.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
Thanks thosj,

It's a good point and worth a try. I will update this evening and post the results.

Neptune
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 03:55:13 PM »
Just to say, upgraded to version 3.042.040. The situation is the same as before.

Neptune

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
Hmmm......maybe time to look at what your steps per and velocity are in motor tuning and check the SS setup to be sure you're setup fast enough and not too fast.

Read thru Jeff Birt's SS setup doc here   http://www.soigeneris.com/Document/Installing_and_Configuring_the_SmoothStepper.pdf 

Read the last couple paragraphs on Page 9 and get your head around this. Check your motor tuning numbers, do the math, and be sure the SS setup matches. I'm not sure if something here can cause what you're seeing, but seeing as you're new to the SS, Jeff's setup doc is a must read anyway. It's impossible to know TOO MUCH about this stuff!!

Also, you stated you "started over" with a fresh XML. How did you do it? Clone the Mach3mill profile and re-enter all your setup info? That's the ONLY certain way to be starting fresh I know of. This exercise will give you cause to document your entire setup, too!!

An aside. I don't know how to do it, but someone who does should write a script or something to extract all the Mach3 settings, Ports & Pins, Motor Tuning, Homing & Limits, etc., to a text file or something. I do it with a combination of screen shots and Excel spreadsheet, but it's a pita amd every time you change something you have to remember to update your stuff.
--
Tom
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
I went through Jeffs set up guide before I installed the smooth stepper. I have experimented with changing the values in the SS setup page but then reset them to the calculated values.

I have all my XML settings documented. The new XML was cloned from the standard mach 3 Turn profile then edited with my settings.

The machine has been running today for around 10 hours on several part programs and everything else is running well.

Neptune

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
An aside. I don't know how to do it, but someone who does should write a script or something to extract all the Mach3 settings, Ports & Pins, Motor Tuning, Homing & Limits, etc., to a text file or something. I do it with a combination of screen shots and Excel spreadsheet, but it's a pita amd every time you change something you have to remember to update your stuff.
Saving the xml will do that as that is where the majority of the info is stored. You can open the xml in notepad and see all the settings but its hard to read as they are all one after the other. If you open the xml with Internet Explorer it is much easier to read but better still is Jasons xml reader which is linked to in a sticky on the general forum.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
Now you talk about it I seem to recall that Daniel had an issue with MDI, If I recall it was ok if he jogged first but then again I think it was possibly only after a feedhold. Plugin update cured that so it wont be neptunes  problem as he is using the latest one but I suppose it could still be related and needing looked at.
Hood

Hmm... was that me...? Not sure this is the issue I had, but then may be you just have better memory ;) What I do remember I had is that I was getting wrong moves made when commanded from the MDI. Another problem I had (I think it still exists) was after hitting softlimits while running a program or an MDI command, I was not able to jog that axis. Had to jog other axis to enable this one. The issue with feedhold was a another different problem.

Now I can say this - sometimes I enter a command in the MDI hit Enter and nothing happens. Look back at the screen "may be I missed the Enter key", but can see the command in the MDI history. Going up with the arrow and highlighting  the command and hitting the Enter executes the command. Have it happening every now and then, but can't see what's causing it.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »
Probably not then ;D
 It could have been the problem you were describing that I was thinking of or it could have been someone else.
Hood