Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:46:52 AM

Author Topic: Losing steps or something?  (Read 53879 times)

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: Losing steps or something?
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2010, 05:00:09 AM »
Don't know...  I'll try putting the whole machine though trial runs tomorrow, though.  I hope this is the solution...   Don

The mind boggles as to why the PP gave that sort of signal. Definitely should not. But ... the SS has many advantages for you, like an extra port.

If this works we will count it as an international triumph!

Here's hoping
Cheers
Roger
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2010, 04:19:31 AM »
I didn't get to do very much today but the diagonal program repeated perfectly both at accelerations of .5 and 10 units per sec. squared.  I never had that luck before.  I'm thinking we Did it!.  Why the strange PP signals Is still a mystery though...  Having the second port and a third that will work with my Z-bot jog dial MPG will be great.  Thanks for the help, guys. 
Don

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2010, 04:28:21 AM »
I didn't get to do very much today but the diagonal program repeated perfectly both at accelerations of .5 and 10 units per sec. squared.  I never had that luck before.  I'm thinking we Did it!.  Why the strange PP signals Is still a mystery though...  Having the second port and a third that will work with my Z-bot jog dial MPG will be great.  Thanks for the help, guys. 
Don

I'll send my bill in ... :-)
Good luck, and hope it is fixed.

cheers

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
Hi Don,

Glad you got it sorted.

The PP issues still bother me though... so the problem is not fixed (nor found) ;) , but you rather found a workaround.

Dan
« Reply #124 on: November 21, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »
I got a chance to look at the outputs of the parallel port after untangling the redundant ports and pins situation that the Smoothstepper was warning me about.  The Direction signal is now a steady state.  However, the step signals are not very clear.  Nothing like the sharply defined square waves of the smoothstepper.  I'll post pictures but unfortunately they were soft on focus...  The do show the almost continuous step line with the pulses under it.  Doesn't look good at all.  Don

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2010, 02:03:02 AM »
I got a chance to look at the outputs of the parallel port after untangling the redundant ports and pins situation that the Smoothstepper was warning me about.  The Direction signal is now a steady state.

Are you saying that for all this time you had a conflict of signals by configuring the same direction pin more than once within the Mach setup ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:53 AM »
I got a chance to look at the outputs of the parallel port after untangling the redundant ports and pins situation that the Smoothstepper was warning me about.  The Direction signal is now a steady state.

I would have never guessed this could be causing the problem. Thanks for the update, Don.

Dan
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2010, 03:28:54 PM »
The pulsed direction signals must have been from the conflicting ports&pins assignments but the problem remained after correcting that.  Apparently, the problem is in the computer itself.  I glad the smoothstepper is working, although my MPG unit is a little strange in its behavior.  Another thread maybe.  Thanks for the help. 
Don

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2011, 04:26:24 AM »
Check the latest version of the SmoothStepper SW. It appears that it may be possible for a direction change to lose a single pulse. Whether this applies to your problem or not I do not know.

Cheers