Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:57:49 PM

Author Topic: An update to my previous thread with a new question  (Read 3376 times)

An update to my previous thread with a new question
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:32:14 PM »
Hi Guys just an update, so the machine was checked over and it appears the problem is the bearings down by the hand-wheels that connect on to the balls screws like rcaffin suggested, the machine will be sent back to germany ( to confirm this ) and a replacement shipped out.

On a side note Wabeco sell a more expensive machine ( F1410LFHS )that uses linear slides for all 3 axis and a counter weight for the Z instead of Gibbs and i was thinking of paying the extra for this option this time round as it may help the overall cnc process in the long run?, I will post a couple of links to the machines if anyone has any suggestions on which unit they think would be better to go for that would be much appreciated.

https://www.wabeco-remscheid.de/index.php?cat=c16010_F1410-LF---F1410-LF-hs.html&subpage=basics&picture=2

The above is the one Im thinking of getting ( with SK30 spindle and ball screws )

https://www.wabeco-remscheid.de/index.php?cat=c14010_F1210---F1210-hs.html&subpage=basics&picture=1

This is the unit I have now ( which will be going back )with the 180mm Y extension and the SK30 spindle and ball screws

The negatives on the linear slides i can see are as follows

Im thinking I may get more chatter with the linear slides on deep cuts but then again most of my work is in aluminium so this may not be an issue

With ball screws if I decide to use the machine in manual mode it may not hold its position so well as Gibbs ( no friction but I could lock off the the axis if need be )

Possibly less rigidity with linear slides but I have no experience with then so im not to sure

The positives with this machine I can see are

200mm in the Y as oppose to 180mm

Smoother overall operation

More weight

Counter balanced Z axis

Once again any thoughts please post

Thanks

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
Re: An update to my previous thread with a new question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
so the machine was checked over and it appears the problem is the bearings down by the hand-wheels that connect on to the balls screws
Bingo. Nice to have that confirmed.

the machine will be sent back to germany ( to confirm this ) and a replacement shipped out.
Customer support? Good to hear.

Im thinking I may get more chatter with the linear slides on deep cuts
MOST unlikely imho. Good linear slides are GOOD.

With ball screws if I decide to use the machine in manual mode it may not hold its position so well as Gibbs ( no friction but I could lock off the the axis if need be )
You do NOT want the slides providing friction to hold position! A very bad idea. OK maybe for old acme threads with heaps of backlash, but NOT with preloaded ballscrews. Holding position the responsibility of the ballscrew system. And ballscrews are also GOOD.

Cheers