Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:33:53 PM

Author Topic: Numbers in DRO's too big  (Read 8290 times)

Numbers in DRO's too big
« on: August 26, 2010, 06:00:49 PM »
I've installed MachStdMill beta 7 and the first thing that I noticed is that the numbers in the DRO's are too big.  They don't fit.  Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Mark
Re: Numbers in DRO's too big
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
OK, I'm going to need a bit more information -
1) install beta 8 - that is the latest MSM version

2) I need to know what is meant by "numbers in the DRO's are too big.  They don't fit." - I know you can see what you are talking about on a screen in front of you, but I can't.
Please take a screen shot and include it in a post so I can see that you are referring to.

3) IS your system set to use normal size windows fonts?
to check this: right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, general tab, display box - is the DPI setting 96 DPI or some other value?

Dave

I've installed MachStdMill beta 7 and the first thing that I noticed is that the numbers in the DRO's are too big.  They don't fit.  Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Mark
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Hi Dave,
Can I install beta 8 over the top of beta 7, or do I need to uninstall it first?

BTW, I'm running Windows 7, if that makes any difference.

Mark
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
The DPI setting on my computer was set to 150%.  When I changed it back to 100% then the numbers in the DRO's are the right size.  All the text in the screen is comfortable to read.  Unfortunately, everything outside of Mach3 is now much too small for comfort.  Is there a way to solve this problem without changing the DPI down to 100%?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
Where do I find beta 8?  The latest version on the download screen is beta 7.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
the download page has MSM v0.3.7 (beta 8 )
Dave

Where do I find beta 8?  The latest version on the download screen is beta 7.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:26:35 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »
When the Windows DPI setting is set to "a non-normal value", windows is forcing fonts to be scaled (at a low level in the display rendering chain) compared to the font height called for by an application.   Mach is not aware that windows is doing this. AS a layer on top of Mach, I can't do anything about this in MSM. This is true for all mach bitmap screen sets (not just MSM).

You can customize a lot of aspects of how windows appear. See the desktop, properties, appearance tab, advanced - there you can tweak lots of things - but I have no magic solution to offer.

On my development machines, I personally run the font scaling at 120% - I loose a bit off the bottom of DRO chars, but not enough to effect the readability of the chars (at least IMHO). On my mill control I run normal fonts (96dpi) with a physical resolution of 1280x1024 on a 19" screen. I could run 12x10 on a 17" screen, but the 19" makes the physical size of things large enough for me to easily read them.

Dave

The DPI setting on my computer was set to 150%.  When I changed it back to 100% then the numbers in the DRO's are the right size.  All the text in the screen is comfortable to read.  Unfortunately, everything outside of Mach3 is now much too small for comfort.  Is there a way to solve this problem without changing the DPI down to 100%?
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
Just install on top of beta 7.
The MSM installer will let you know if it wants you to do uninstall first.
The general rule is just install over the prior version unless the installer gets insistent and forces you to do otherwise.

Hi Dave,
Can I install beta 8 over the top of beta 7, or do I need to uninstall it first?

BTW, I'm running Windows 7, if that makes any difference.

Mark
www.CalypsoVentures.com