Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:59:08 PM

Author Topic: Tooling issues  (Read 3978 times)

Offline Calum

•  45 45
    • View Profile
Tooling issues
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »
I have been using MSM a bit over the past couple of weeks, it's looking good but I'm having a few issues with tooling.

The symptoms I have seen are -
The Tool Table info in the Tool Table Information panel on the Tooling tab does not update when I increment the tool number or enter a number in the tool# window.  I can Edit the tool info with the Edit button but the tool DRO's do not change when I have finished the edit.

The Next Tool info does not change when I enter a tool change command in the MDI but most of the Current Tool info does change when I complete the tool change. The tool holder info doesn't seem to change.

When I try setting the TSP TP MCz in MT mode I get an error stating that “Special function must start from TCP”.  I have set up TCP, TP and gage block etc and the spindle is at the TCP position over the TP.

I may have missed something but I have read the User Manual a few time now and don't seem to be making much progress, any suggestions?

My set up is using Smooth Stepper and I have checked that the 4 brains are loaded.

Calum ???

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Re: Tooling issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 08:06:52 AM »
I also have this Tool Table Info issue, but intermittently. I can't seem to figure out the circumstances under which it starts. A restart of Mach3 usually gets it back to working. I, too, have a SmoothStepper, for what that's worth.

I have not gotten to Master Tool Mode yet.

Calum, out of curiousity, have you tried probing?
--
Tom
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
Hi Calum,
Here is some more info re your questions:

1)   Tool panel updates
When MSM initializes it starts up a background task that is responsible for a lot of screen control updates. Controls that the process updates include:
    Probing page probe result DROs
    Current, Next and Browse panels on the tooling page
    Parallel port input signals on the hardware page.
If the background process stops, these controls stop responding. Conversely, if these controls are not responding, the background process probably died.

I have seen 3 reports of “controls not responding” – so I suspect there is an occasional  problem somewhere. The interface that MSM uses in mach is supposed to start a periodic script that runs forever – MSM never shuts down the back ground process.
Of course, I never see this happen on my machines (Isn't software fun?)
Restarting Mach (and therefore MSM) causes MSM to re-init which also starts up the background process again.

I’m planning to add some diagnostics and maybe watch dog code to the next release to try to see if the background script has stopped – but the only tool to do a watch dog is another background process… so I’m not sure if it will tell us anything.

2) Set TCP TP TP MCz
Please refer to manual section 8.3.1.3.
The process to set the TCP TP MCz has to start **exactly** from the Tool change position. If you are trying to jog to that location, you’ll never to the **exact** location precisely enough to satisfy the condition that is being tested for.
The way to get to exactly the TCP is to use the “GoTC Pos’n” button on the tooling page.

Please also see this thread I posted this morning:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,15521.msg104118.html#msg104118

Dave
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:46:03 AM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Calum

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:03:44 PM »
I have played around with probing but with little/no success, probably the same underlying issue I have with TLO and MTM.  Restarting Mach doesn't seem to get it working again, is there something I could look for in the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager? 

The thread on probing has me thinking about how I have configured my TP and probe, I'll take a closer look at this.

I'm running Mach R3.04.012
MSM beta 2
SS beta 2 v15

I have been using the Go TC Pos'n but still get the error message.

I think I will reinstall from skratch rather than use my original Mach3 xml it may have some unusual things in it.

Calum :P

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 10:07:32 AM »
I know this is an older post but only version .010 is supported for the beta.
I have played around with probing but with little/no success, probably the same underlying issue I have with TLO and MTM.  Restarting Mach doesn't seem to get it working again, is there something I could look for in the Processes tab of Windows Task Manager? 

The thread on probing has me thinking about how I have configured my TP and probe, I'll take a closer look at this.

I'm running Mach R3.04.012
MSM beta 2
SS beta 2 v15

I have been using the Go TC Pos'n but still get the error message.

I think I will reinstall from skratch rather than use my original Mach3 xml it may have some unusual things in it.

Calum :P
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)