Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:43:38 PM

Author Topic: Manuals not available thru the reference page. For me  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Manuals not available thru the reference page. For me
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
Dave, first of all your screens look great. Now for the bad part. I am going to be in over my head for the next few years or at least til I perish or switch hobbies. There is going to be a lot of new things for me to learn besides just trying to calibrate and run my machines. You all keep creating interesting things that I have no comprehension of how they work yet. On to the topic. I did uninstall 1 & 2. Installed Beta v2.1 and after I figured out how to get my taskbar to autohide everything was fine (at least I had control of the screens finally :-[) I was too embarassed to write you about that. I have access to the manual in the files but I cant seem to reference it thru the "reference tab" in fact nothing on the left hand side, ie user manual, Mach3 release notes, MSM Rel Notes, G & M Quick Reference & Gcode manual seem to activate. All of the buttons on the right side seem to work fine. Right during start up it seemed to allow me to point towards a specific file. I thought I had pointed it in the right direction (everything is in their default folders) as this is where I can read them from direct. I dont seem to see any way to change that now. Thanks and again good looking work. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 10:43:50 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Manuals not available thru the reference page. For me
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:40:53 AM »
Never mind. I did get it resolved by uninstalling, reinstalling and then in the browse dialog box. I installed the link thru adobe, not directly to the folder? But all sseems to work fine in those regards. I am sure I will follow with plenty more questions but so far so good.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
Please check the path for the PDF reader utility - w/o knowing where the PDF reader is, MSM can't open any of the PDF format manuals.
You need to set the full path and file name of the reader .exe file.

Settings-Common page, "set utility paths" button.

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 02:07:41 PM »
When I go back thru the the settings page, I am met with 2 dialog boxes. Upon clicking on "set utility path "C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe, then I click ok and I get this "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe". I am hoping this is correct. It does seem to display all of the information that I am looking for in the reference screen. Mostly the manual. Lots of reading and misunderstanding to do! Thanks and I am known to ask seemingly basic questions, I missed the basic classes and all of the ones after that.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
Hi,

I see "C:\Program Files (x86)\... in the path for the reader - which is a clue that you have 64 bit windows installed as this is the folder for 32 bit apps on win64 installations.

Therefore, I deduce that you are running a 64 bit version of windows - is that correct?

Assuming my deduction is correct, I'm sorry, but I have to point out that Mach3 is not supported on 64 bit versions of windows.
Please refer to the main Machsupport.com web page where it says:

Mach3 Minimum Requirements:

* 32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System

I am unable to assist with problems arising from the use of an unsupported OS version.
For running Mach3, you need to use one of the supported Win32 versions of windows.

Dave

Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:53 AM »
Nope I am running a 32-bit AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30GHz. It wouldnt suprise me if opened something in the wrong place or with the wrong program. Even though all my computers run Mach, I am setting it up in my laptop for practice. When I understand it a little more, I will load it into one that controls my mill. Though it might be pointing to the wrong directory, all of the buttons activate the category selected. ? BTW Vista Ultimate in office, Windows 7 home on the laptop and Xp on the machine control computer

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:41:38 AM »
Nope I am running a 32-bit AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30GHz. It wouldnt suprise me if opened something in the wrong place or with the wrong program. Even though all my computers run Mach, I am setting it up in my laptop for practice. When I understand it a little more, I will load it into one that controls my mill. Though it might be pointing to the wrong directory, all of the buttons activate the category selected. ? BTW Vista Ultimate in office, Windows 7 home on the laptop and Xp on the machine control computer

An AMD Athlon 64 X2 is a 64 bit processor (Athlon 64), but that's irrelivent in this context. What Dave is saying is, in your path to Adobe Reader you have the Program Files (x86) directory, which points to a 64 bit Windows OS, not a 32 bit or 64 bit processor, and a 64 bit OS is not compatible with Mach3. Click the start orb, right click Computer, click Properties. In there it'll tell you if you're running a 32 bit or 64 bit OS.

You'll have to test Mach3/MSM on a 32 bit OS computer. The one on your machine is surely 32 bit!
--
Tom

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »
Maybe there should be minimum requirements for a beta tester! Ok I use 3 different computers and might respond to the forum from anyone of them. 2 of my computers are 32 bit however the laptop that I have been loading it on trying to get my bearings is 64 bit. When I responded yesterday I wasnt paying attention to what computer I was on hence the Athlon reference. I could be a covert Mach3 64 bit beta tester (what the software guys would learn from me, is what a beginner is going to do). I was much more worried about how to set MSM up than appears was warranted. It seems to install pretty painlessly and besides ports and pin settings and such, it looks like it would work pretty much right out of the box. The probing page really makes me envious.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »
No problem, Fastest, we all get pretty confused sometimes, 'specially when we start beta testing.

Hang in with MSM, it's pretty nice!!

Good luck,
Tom
--
Tom

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Computer use is beta testing for me! The MSM looks great and of course I had just corrupted my latest xml anyway so why not go ahead and reconfigure everything at the same time. The real fear is if all of you have the patience to walk me thru the tuning of it once it is installed, if any is needed. Next I will be trying to write macros or some other confusing topic. Thanks for the encouragement.