Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 10:55:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
* Home Help Search Calendar Links Login Register
+  Machsupport Forum
|-+  Third party software and hardware support forums.
| |-+  Third party software and hardware support forums.
| | |-+  Need help choosing spindle motor/VFD.
Pages: 1   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Need help choosing spindle motor/VFD.  (Read 1467 times)
Sam
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »

Well, I think I'm about ready to purchase a spindle motor for the mill in progress, however, I'm about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to choosing a motor. I'm thinking a VFD with a good 3 phase motor would be great, but I really don't know enough to make an educated decision. I've seen that I can get a new 3hp Baldor or Leeson motor for about +/- $200 delivered. I've dug up some specs on some motors, but I really don't know what I'm looking at.
http://baldor.com/products/detail.asp?1=1&catalog=VM3561&product=AC+Motors&family=General+Purpose|vw_ACMotors_GeneralPurpose&winding=35WGY334&rating=40CMB-CONT
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2526&catname=electric
2 or 4 pole? Pro's and con's? I would like to have more power at slower speeds, rather than higher, so I guess a 4 pole is more desirable?
What about VFD options to look for? Needed inputs/outputs for features that might be useful, relays, braking features, fieldbus options, etc.... I have a small bit of experience with the Danfoss drives, and I know they are quality drives, plus and I have a local supplier, so I'm kinda leaning toward those.
http://www.danfoss.com/BusinessAreas/DrivesSolutions/Products/Frequency+Converters.htm
I know I'm asking allot, but any help at all is appreciated. Thanks!

"I sometimes think we consider the good fortune of the early bird and overlook the bad fortune of the early worm." FDR - 1922

"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
NosmoKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »

The 4 pole torque is optimum at the base speed, so with a standard motor you can go up to 120hz.
If you are buying new you could spend a bit more and look at the vector rated motors, these generally take you up higher in the rpm max range.
Also suppliers like WEG have motor/VFD combinations that offer 100% torque down to zero rpm with no cooling fan.
A nice features to have on a spindle  is up-to-speed, which would need an input into Mach, not sure if it has the option written in.
This way machining motion is delayed until the spindle is up to speed.
Nosmo.
Pages: 1   Go Up
Print
Jump to: