Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:04:43 AM

Author Topic: IN-Groove Carbide Indexed Routing tools  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
IN-Groove Carbide Indexed Routing tools
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:16:51 PM »
Has anyone tried these, they are by amana Tool company.I just got a set last week for my router and have only used one of the .030 tip x 30 degree bits in it so far but man they cut nice with the right  feed and speeds.
   I bought the 1/2 inch router shank set that comes with 7 different styles of bits.So far I have only used them on one job for engraving but , nice clean cut running 60 IPM and 10000 rpm on the router  I cant wait to try out the different slot cutters that came with the tool.  And also they will custom cut any angle or profile you need.. Nice set from what I have done with it so far. And since you only change the tip its all nice carbide and  only 19 bucks for most inserts, And you never know with some looking around I might be able to find them cheaper somewhere on sale..here is a link for a video on them  http://www.amanatool.com/ingroove/
And I do not work for them or sell them or anything I just wanted feedback on them.  ALso just wanted to add that only the engraving bits are indexed so no need to re-set zero, I thought when I got them ALL of the bits had the same Zero length..Still need to zero the other style bits..
Gary
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:24:56 PM by Garyv »

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: IN-Groove Carbide Indexed Routing tools
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:56 AM »
Hi Gary,

I belong to the Vectric forums and I've heard very good things about these but it's nice to hear your thoughts as well as I've been playing with the idea of getting one. Only drawback is that I can get Onsrud engravers for 19.99 and they last forever for me so I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is for ME personally.

I'd like to hear from you on the other types of cutters like the V Bits for wood if you plan on using them.

Can you show any of your work with these and a little more detail like how deep and in what material?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Hey Dave,
 here are a few pieces I did this morning with the 30 degree .030 tip engraver, my machine cant keep up with 60 IPM on the curves I guess so there are a few fuzzy spots to clean up but they brush off with a stiff brush..

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
Looks nice and clean, I'm guessing black ABS?

Nice job, and thank you-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »
I forget the exact name of material but it is a cross between starboard and plexiglass or acylic sheet..It is tougher than starboard which is a softer cutting board type material and just a touch softer than acrylic material.
   It did not come with the plastic film over the top like most plastics and I get drops or cut offs at the local plastics guy , but it is what is used for outside dashboards in boats.Next time I pick some up I will try to remember the type or brand of material it is..The recomended feed rate and speed is 120 IPM at 18000 for a 2 flute cutter but my router ballscrws start to wobble when I get near 120 IPM feed rate so I cut it in half to 10000 RPM and 55 to 60 IPM and cuts fine, Just when engraving it With all of the moves I need to put arc cutting to 100 percent so it wont slow down I just keep forgetting to do it and dont want to loose steps as well....
Thanks
Gary