Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:51:29 AM

Author Topic: New to Mach3 just got a Sieg!!!  (Read 11510 times)

New to Mach3 just got a Sieg!!!
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »
Im trying to set up and configure my mill to mach3. I have everything load and can control the axis's and everything but when i go to settings to calibrate the axis i always run into a problem with getting a warning when i open mach3 saying axis drives are high and it sounds like everything is grinding. What do i do?

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
Re: New to Mach3 just got a Sieg!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
Don't understand quite what the problem is but - You might want to go to the Seig site - http://www.smallcncsupport.com/ - and make sure you have the latest XML files. There was a problem with some of the "early" ones.  I have modified those config files because it was easier for me to think in imperial units (inches) and the folks over on the Seig site think that the machine has to be configured in millimeters. I started from their XML's and have had no problem. When the machine is sitting idle there is a bit of a hiss that you will hear. That is normal. The drives should sound like an angry bumblebee when moving and that sound will change in intensity as the machine varies in speed. Running patterns with lots of circles are almost musical.

Which machine did you get - the KX1 or the KX3? I have the KX3 running with a max feedrate of 100 inches / minute. I could go faster - 120 "/min, but I really see no real benefit at this point.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:23:39 AM »
i have a KX1 the problem is im not sure what to do in general. The configuration and calibration. I just dont know, im not really famiular wit this operating system.

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »
Okay -
  To start off can you jog the machine using the arrow keys (HINT - make sure the NUM LOCK is off fore the key pad keys to work as jog keys)

You can get some other options for the Jog keys by tapping the TAB key and selecting step or continous jogs.

Machine may start up configured in metric - don't know what units you are used to... It is easy to change a few numbers and have the machine totally in imperial units.

If it moves smoothly when jogging then you have most of the config working. if it doesn't seems to be moving smootly (it will hum/growl while it moves, that's the steppers) you might amke sure that the stepp- Pulse setting in the config/motor tuning has a 5 in it. If that number is too small it causes problems, depending on your parallel port.

I redid the Jog keys as they wer configured as if the spindle was moving and I find it easier to have the jog keys point the way the table is moving.

If you hit a limit the machine only jogs in slow speed after you clear the E-Stop until you get off the limit and let go of the jog key.

Where are you located? might be someone in the area who could give you a hand.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:06:25 PM by kf2qd »
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:32 AM »
Thank You very much, i did some work on it yesterday and i think i might have it down. One problem i am having is when i tuned the motors, the Y axis is good when i tune it and when i push tab and turn the job rate down it sounds like the gear is grinding could that be because of the pulse rate? I am located in afghanistan right now, we got the machine to up our capabilities out here and i didnt know it was going to be this much work to get it set up. So know i have work stacking up while im figuring out this machine. Thank You very much if you have anymore tips or pointers please feel free to let me know.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 07:05:06 AM »
I changed the Pulse settings to 5 and it appears that everything is good. Do i have to re-calibrate after tuning? Because i ran a circle pocket program and the circle came out of one diameter was perfect and the other one was to wide? Is that the calibration?

Offline kf2qd

•  148 148
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
The circle problem - If this is a Seig built machine I would think that both axis should have the same ballscrews, and thus the Steps Per for each axis should be the same.
you can look this up  using the menu at the top Config/Motor Tuning. On the right side of that screen select each axis and see what the numbers look like.

An elipse would imply that the Steps per is not correct for 1 axis.

Which axis of the elipse is the correct size? and on size measurement are you accounting for the cutter diameter? A 2" circle cut with a 1/4 mill will measure 1 3/4 on an OD and 1 1/4 on an ID as the 2" diameter is the centerline of the cutter unless you are using G41/42

You can check each axis with an indicator to see how much they are actually moving or compare them to a scale over a longer move.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »
backlash? what screws? bearings?

table gibs adjusted?

losing steps from overloading/speeding/accel... does it return to zero zero zero after 50 rapids at travel extremes?

slow jogs can sound rather clicky, as can over acceleration
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:09:57 AM by HeadSmess »