Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:13:29 PM

Author Topic: Welding a motor mount  (Read 3907 times)

Welding a motor mount
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:46:55 PM »
Hey folks,
Came across this for sale....as NEW.
Looks like it was welded after assembly ?
Would you suspect that the welding did any damage to the internals ?
Might be a fast MIG weld, cooled quickly thereafter as the paint doesn't looked to be burned near the weld.
Not sure though.
Thanks
 :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Welding a motor mount
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:52:06 AM »
I think the rule of buying second hand stuff comes in here. If it's cheap enough then it's worth the chance, If the seller wants proper money then don't take the risk.
(if that was electric welded then some of the current could have gone through the bearings which may prematurely fail as a result. The heat may have compromised the windings insulation or magnetic flux characteristics etc...) But if it's cheap enough - go for it.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »
Echo Tweakie's reply. And if you buy it check the windings for your safety  before putting power to it, and even then make sure the motor frame is grounded properly. Hmm ....on second thought i would pass!,
RICH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
I too agree with Tweak. If somebody put the welder ground on the shaft when they welded it, then the bearings will most likely be damaged. I wouldn't think replacement bearings would be all that expensive, but installing them might be a PITA. It's a shame to see a Baldor motor done that way. They are indeed quality motors......which makes you wonder why its new and for sale in the first place. They might just be trying to recover what they can from the cost of it. I would suspect shipping charges alone might be a deal breaker. What a pity.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
Come on Russ, spill the beans - did you decide to buy this motor ?.  ???

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
  It sold for about $60 i think.
I did not participate after the reinforcing comments made here.....thanks to all.
Sure would have liked to had it though (working).  2 -3 hp single phase 3450 rpm motors are sort of scarce. Unless buying new of course.
I was just looking for a spare for my table saw and / or planer.
I'll keep looking....thanks.
Russ