Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:48:57 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577505 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
I don't have experience with the USB adapter you guys are using (I believe Matty did use one of these so it should work) mine is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PC-USB-RS232-RS485-UART-TTL-Signal-Converter-New-/200490288429?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Components&hash=item2eae27052d

There was a post earlier about how some chips don't automatically switch comms direction and maybe this is the issue with some convertors...

Matty Zee (the writer of the plugin) hasn't posted in any of the forums lately but he just had a kid so probably has his hands quite full.

good luck

Mark

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »
Hello Mark,
Thanks for the information, I have ordered one of the converters you are using and will test all of them and give feedback to the group as soon as these arrive.
Looks like a great plugin just need to get it working on my setup.
All the best,
BK.
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Yeah it works great for me... however it needs a bit of tweaking still for some features I'd like to see. unfortunately Matty hasn't released the source code so I'm kinda stuck untill he surfaces again.  writing a whole lugin is beyond me but I have a few friends like the one who wrote spindle talker that could nut it out given the time.

My only issue I've found is that I can't intiate a "fast stop"when an estop is pressed... still working on a fix.

Cheers

Mark

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2010, 05:25:04 AM »
Hello Mark,
As you say great job by Matty, if he is willing to release sourse code, I have a full developement suite so would be happy to add extra features.
Then we can use the full potential of this VFD controller, it would be nice to expand types of RS485 supported and control on board relay etc.
Thanks,
BK.

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:01 AM »
Well I bought the F version of the dongle and tried it out today.
I have also received a new VFD as the old one had issues with the display.

Of interest I originally had a HY01D523B (1.5Kw) instead of the 2.2Kw which I have now.

I swapped out all the power and spindle to the new unit and connected the new F Driver to Spindle Talk.

Results:
1. On my old VFD I can start and stop the VFD only (no motor, its on the new unit)
2. On my new VFD it does nothing at all. I have ensured each parameter that was on the original unit is in the new unit.

Previously:
3. On my old VFD, when the motor was attached i could start it and after a couple of seconds the comm port would lock up.

So my conclusion is that the current state of this program will either work or not work at all.
There is no discernible rhyme or reason (as far as i can tell) for this and you basically have to be lucky for your setup to work. I mean it partially works on one of my units and not at all on the other.

I'm going to park this until it is either developed further or just use the variable voltage control which I have proven to work previously.Too bad I liked the idea of this setup.

Best of luck guys getting your units going.

Michael

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2010, 05:46:44 AM »
Hello Mark / Mikie,

Mikie,
 Just tried my new F version today, made no difference some times get response back from VFD but not what Matty Zee's software expects.
Ordered Same RS485 unit as Mark has but arrived today as some programing tools for PIC processors so no help there.Can you tell me what version of Mach3 you are running please.

Mark,
As above still no luck will order another controller like yours hope I get the right one this time but 2 more weeks waiting, I will just use VFD via some other method for now could you please let me know what version of Mach3 you are using please.

Matty,
If you are listening any help or advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks,
BK.

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 06:37:35 AM »
BK,

I'm only using spindle talker which is the basic version of the Mach3 plugin. If this doesn't work, MACH3 won't.
You can downlaod this from the wookworking forums CNC section.

I expect there must be some differences in the software between units.
My 1.5KW unit works a bit , but the new 2.2KW unit doesn;t communicate at all. I've gone through the manual today and it should work given the settings.

I mean, as long as the comms ports line up and 1/1/3 is set for PD 163/164/165, communication to the unit should work.
Of course 2/2 should be set for PD001/002.

I think there is a fundamental problem and I don't know how to send commands directly over the comms port as I don't know the command formats.
The idea would be to open a terminal session to the VFD and send this ON/OFF command over this terminal interface.

The other problem area I see is what drivers should be used for the converter.
When I look in the RS485 directory there isn't any other for the directory which is to remove the installed drivers? Go figure.

I then tried to install the drivers using the executable which is in the P???? directory. This caused a software error

In the end I used the drivers that were in the uninstall directory by browsing to it when you manually install the drivers.

I think if someone could advise me how they installed their driver it may help

/Michael

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
Hello Michael,
Spindle talker is this a comms program for sending and receiving data from comms port?
Can you please send me a link for this software.
Thanks,
BK.

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2010, 03:08:40 AM »
BK,

Here is the link - http://www.woodworkforums.com/f170/tips-newbie-huanyang-vfd-users-96380/index8.html
It is the initial version of the plugin. You can manually control the spindle with it.

I downloaded a terminal emulator today and I can make the spindle work with the old VFD.I found a post from Mark with the Hex values. Love the fact he posted it, made life easy.
The new VFD does nothing. I don't see any response/reply from the unit at all.The comms seems to be okay to it, but then that is just an educated guess
I am now thinking the problem is with the unit or the software used in the unit.

I'm going to have to email CHAI (LinearMotion2008) who I got the unit from and get him to fix the problem - Hopefully.

/Michael
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2010, 03:23:33 AM »
Hi Guys

Bit of a clarification... Spindle Talker was written by a friend of mine, not Matty (matty is forum friend...) and is just a vb script that makes generating the required hex strings easier. It has no relation to the plugin and does not used the same method to comunicate (ie it will not work within Mach)

Using Spindle talker is one step up from using any port sw and typing the strings in manually... if it doesn't work there is no point in trying the plugin.

Chai is not too good on the software comms side but good luck.

Start with first principles...

Check wiring and connectivity
Use another pc to set up a comms link with your converter (if you have 2) ie serial to 485 = 485 to serial
Test above with Spindle talker
Connect VFD and test (if all above works then the problem is in the vfd)
Success? then attempt using the plugiin, Note this is the LAST test not the first.

Still got problems ensure that all steps that are documented have been taken IE dot net version etc.

I'm using MAch version  and a smooth talker but doubt the proble is there... Take a few steps back and start with the flow chart I just described and maybe I can help you if I know exactly where it fails
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 03:26:59 AM by mhasting2004 »