Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:28:15 PM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577491 times)

Offline sebba

•  42 42
    • View Profile
Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
thanks Phil, I have to dig from now! :)
« Reply #241 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »

The braking does work but not as I expected it to.

I have a Danfoss VFD on my Bridgeport and with the brake resistor enabled it improves the deceleration considerably from the moment it starts slowing down.

With the brake resistor enabled on the Huanyang and the deceleration time set to the minimum 0.1sec (calculated from 50Hz I think) the slow down rate is not a whole lot different to NOT having it enabled.
The resistor is not used to dump energy until the bus voltage exceeds the max of about 375VDC (don't quote me on that but it's close) which is in the last 10% or so of wind down.
The deceleration time from 24000 rpm (400hz) with a 6mm end mill in the collet is around 5 seconds. Nothing like the setting of 0.8 seconds that the setting implies.  ::)

So with the deceleration set to 0.1sec and the resistor NOT plugged in, the VFD lets go of the spindle (coast stop) when the bus voltage gets too high in that last 10%.
With the resistor plugged in you do get an increased deceleration over normal but only in that last 10% and only till the bus voltage drops below the maximum again.

In summary,
I think that my 2.2kw high speed spindle does not have enough inertia to make any use of the breaking function with an external resistor attached.
You can reduce the deceleration time and get some improvement of deceleration without a resistor. If you drop it too much and the bus voltage goes too high the VFD will just disconnect from the spindle until the bus voltage drops again. (as it should)

If I used the Huanyang on the Bridgeport with it's increased inertia it may work as expected, but that is 380V 3 phase and the Huanyang is only 240V rated.

Cheers,
Phil

Hi.

Good work w/ the implementing of the breaking resistor!!

So you mean that I could set my deceleration time to the lowest (0.1) even w/o the resistor and the VFD will be ok w/ it? I don't know what I use today but stop time from 24000rpm is like 12 sec or more.

Any one know what would be a safe acceleration time for the Huanyang VFD w/ 2.2 kw water cooled spindle?

Best regards L.
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
G'day L,
Yep you can decrease the braking time even without a resistor or associated circuitry. It you go too far the VFD will just let go of controlling the spindle speed until the DC bus voltage level drops again. You can hear when this happens.
If you increase the acceleration too much it will just tell you with an over current warning on ramp-up. Should be no risk of damage, just back off the settings until everything is happy again.

On a sadder note, :'( my VFD has fallen to the fabled over-voltage error on startup >:D. Ran great for a 3hr operation but powering up after a 3 day layover I get the error.
When I reset to defaults, my max current is set to 1.5amps and the error still remains.
I'm working on the issue now, and as a true glutton for punishment I'll fork out another $150 for a new one and have a unit I can compare voltages with. I think it will be a hardware fault, well see. If not, I hope they didn't lock the code on the processor, I may be able to read the from good and transfer to the bad.

I won't bother fitting the braking circuitry to the new one, I don't think it is worth it.

Just a quick note. This braking set-up has nothing to do with DC braking. It can be confusing. DC braking is a voltage applied to the motor when it is stopped or very nearly so to hold the motor in one position. ie not able to turn.
If you do that for too long the motor will generate a lot of heat.

Cheers,
Phil
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:45:22 AM by majorstrain »
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »
I ordered one of these last week.  First off, let me say that I am electronically challenged.  The Ebay site said that the VFD was modbus compliant.  Does anyone know if they have fixed this or if they just mean that you can communicate over the RS45? 

It sounds as if these are pretty hastily put together and I might be spending a lot of time seeking help.  I have read most of this thread and some of the other ones on cheap chinese spindles but it is all I can justify spending on an already too expensive hobby.

Hope I don't have to bug you guys too much.
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
Hi,

From reading the short plug-in manual, It is not clear to me what the the real situation is. The manual says something along the lines of "the plug-in should update dro 39" ... and then it goes on to say that this doesn't work on the author's system.  ???

w/o access to the plug-in source, there is no way to see what the real issue could be. That leaves "poking at the plug-in as a black box" to see how it reacts - usually a frustrating approach.  Alas, I can't even do much that way as I don't have a Huanyang VFD.

Can someone point me to an English version of the Huanyang manual?
I have another odd Chinese VFD, and while I know this has to be a real long shot, I'd like to compare the Huanyang comm sequences to my VFD manual....

If the plug-in is updating a user space DRO (as I think I read somewhere - please excuse me for not having read all the posts in this thread), then it is easy for one to customize MSM to use the plug-ins user DRO instead of DRO 39.
That I can help with if someone wants to do that.

Dave

I've been having issues with Mach and pulley set up / reverse / spindle calibration.  Everything was working o.k. until I decided to readjust my pulley set up this was with R3.043.022  I ended up upgrading to the R3.043.035 development version and now the RPM DRO is not working correctly.
If I have both checkboxes selected for Spindle Speed DRO, I get a zero rpm reported, if the box on the right is unchecked I get requested RPM repeated but not actual rpm.
I think what happened is during the upgrade to R3.043.035 the screen set was replaced.  It seems that plugin is overwriting the RPM DRO, how do I make this DRO display actual speed from index sensor?  If I uncheck both boxes I still get zero I believe, I'll double check that.

Thanks

BTW did anyone actually tried contacting MattyZee and got a response "No, I will not release source code" or was there no response at all?
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
I ordered one of these last week.  First off, let me say that I am electronically challenged.  The Ebay site said that the VFD was modbus compliant.  Does anyone know if they have fixed this or if they just mean that you can communicate over the RS45? 

It sounds as if these are pretty hastily put together and I might be spending a lot of time seeking help.  I have read most of this thread and some of the other ones on cheap chinese spindles but it is all I can justify spending on an already too expensive hobby.

Hope I don't have to bug you guys too much.

Did you mean communicate over RJ45 or RS485?
The answer is, it can communicate over RS485 but the ModBus protocol is not standard.  There is no RJ45 connector on this drive.
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
Hi,

I've received some more information about the DRO 39 situation to pass along.

First, I'm not sure this helps, but the problem is not unique to the Huanyang plug-in.   ;)

With both the Huanyang VFD plug-in and the VIstaCNC tach plug-in, no index pulses appear on any input pin to mach. Hence Mach sets the value of DRO 39 to 0. Further, DRO 39 is "special" in that it is normally (almost always) is set by Mach - so if the plug-ins attempt to update the DRO from plug-in code, Mach will often overwrite the value the plug-in wrote.

Which code (mach or plug-in) will be the last to update each time thru the mach 1/10 sec refresh loop, is indeterminate (I'm told mach runs this loop as as a timing race condition). This is also why some people can see the Huangyang plug-in work with the 1024.set screen but not with MSM and (Some other screen sets) - the way mach fires of threads internally and hence when they get run within this race condition are different between the screen sets.

There is a way for a plug-in to take over DRO 39 and update it - however, currently, a plug-in which attempts to do so must be a full motion plug-in - i.e. it must be handling all motion for mach (otherwise mach's motion code, including the code that updates DRO 39) is still being run.

Neither the Huanyang VFD plug-in or the VistaCNC tach plug-ins are "full motion" plug-ins. Therefore they are unable to update DRO 39.

The requirement that only a full motion plug-in can update DRO 39 may change in a future version of mach, but that ability does not exist in mach as of today.

To muddy the waters a bit more, it may have been possible for a non-full motion plug-in to update DRO 39 with some older versions of mach (it changed when art did some changes to how the mach driver determines timing) - this is likely the reason that the plug-in authors think they have seen it work in the past.

In any case the mach versions where that may be possible are not mach versions that can support MSM.

Until Mach is revised and a change makes it into a mach release, the only option is to have the plug-in update a user space DRO # and for the user to edit MSM to change the RPM DRO # from 39 to that #.

Some "RPM plug-ins" already offer the ability to update an user space DRO instead of DRO 39.

Because a) different plug-ins use different alternative user DRO#s, and b) mach does not provide support dynamically altering a screen DRO # at run time, MSM can't automate this for the user.

If you are using a plug-in to derive RPM, then you will need to customize MSM for use with that plug-in.

The good news is that this works fine as this is what several Huanyang plug-in users have successfully done to integrate MSM and the Huanyang plug-in.

Dave

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:52:37 PM by DaveCVI »
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
Dave, that's good info.

I couldn't wait any longer to make this drive work as i needed so I got a replacement Hitachi X200 (fighting with that now  ::) ).

I understand the DRO issue but I also had a problem with reverse check box in the pulley set up not making a difference in spindle rotation.  I posted about this on the yahoo board and was told by Brian that the reverse should be working but the plugin might be what's causing the check box to be ignored.  Brian suspects that when plugin was originally written it was made to work with version of Mach witch had the check box problem, so Matty Zee probably inverted the check box.  Now that the check box issue has been fixed in the development version of Mach, there is a double inversion which makes the check box transparent.  This is not an issue for people not needing the reverse.

Someone is going to get a deal on my Huanyang VFD.  PM me if interested.
« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
Majorstrain, thanks for posting the pictures.  I just got my cheap VFD today and even though I know nothing about electronics I was able to tell that my 485 chip is missing from all of the info posted here.

would this chip work?
  http://www.wvshare.com/product/MAX485CSA.html

There is nothing in the CN4 holes.  What is supposed to be there?  Do I need it?

PC1 and PC2 have nothing soldered to them.  Is there supposed to be something there?  Do I need them

TIA

RT
« Reply #249 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
Hi RT,
The MAX485 chip looks like it will do the job. PC1 and PC2 are part of the motor drive circuit, you will need to get some chips that are the same as PC3 through to PC6.
I would class it as unfit for its intended service with out them because they are essential components.
It might be worth checking to see if the hassle and cost of getting a replacement VFD is worth it, or just getting the parts and having a friend or local electronics repair shop put them in for you.
You can always have a go at installing them yourself if you like. Sounds like you got one that was assembled a day or two before Chinese New Year.

Cheers,
Phil