Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:31:09 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577496 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
That's great info Russ,
It does seam like you are the only one fighting with the RS485 at the moment, I'll be going down that trail in a couple of weeks when I get the chips.
Regarding the pin numbering on the unpopulated IDC socket (If I'm thinking of the same connector as you) see that attached pictures. I should have included this numbering information with the schematic I made up for the power board also.

On a diferent note, I tried hard late last night to blow my VFD sky high, with no success.  ;D
I have had mine stripped down and rebuilt several times during the reverse engineering process. When I reassembled it late last night and tried to run it I got the E.O.C.A error.
Not being able to read the Chinese manual, I slipped onto the net to find the meaning of the error. (Over current during ramp up). A bit unusual I thought because I had had it running b4 with no problems.
In my mind I put it down to maybe wiping the EEPROM during probing the board. (Very unlikely, but it was past midnight and my brain is not noted for it's clarity at that hour)
It was then that I saw the problem. Sitting on the desk next to my mouse were the two silicone insulation strips that go under the IGB's.  :o

Well you can say one thing, the output short circuit protection works.  ;)
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
Final Update.  I did this update last night but for some reason it did not show today.

SUCCESS, SUCCESS, SUCCESS

I decided to remove the 75176B chip and only had a MAX3485 which is the 3.3V version of the MAX485 chip.  I read the spec sheet and it said it was 5V tolerant and when I read the VCC rating it showed a MAX of 7V.  I used a SMT repair station with a iron and hot air pump to remove and install the new part.

When I hooked the unit back up and connected the scope I could still not see all the data expected.  As a last resort I decided to switch the two leads RS+ and RS- and suddenly I got the infamous "2's" populated in the plugin.  I became so excited after such a struggle to get to this point so I decided to try and turn on the spindle.  Well it did not respond so I remember reading someone just tried some Gcode and their spindle came to life.  Well I tried this and SUCCESS, the motor starting coming up to speed.  I was extremely excited at this point. 

I tried to overrride the spindle speed and the system crashed and I could not control anything and Mach e-stop was flashing.  I then recalled reading on the forum you might need a EMI choke on the USB line to the RS485 converter.  I found a USB cable with a removable choke and looped my USB cable through it and SUCCESS.

I can now control the spindle motor and not crash MACH3.  I love this plugin and the ability to control the spindle speed and on/off.  More testing to come but at least I discovered the root of my issue was a bad 75176B chip.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Russ
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Majorstrain,

Your probably correct on the formal numbering of the unpopulated connector.  I did not have a connector like the one you have picture which would have numbers on the plastic, so I just used the standard counterclockwise IC number scheme.

Using your numbering scheme the pins of most importance are as follows and it would be nice to have this in a schematic.  Hopefully, I will get a little more time later in the week to pull my part together in Eagle or something.

Pin#1 is Ground (tied to the 44-pin processor labeled  "0260R8A" probably a mask version of a Microchip part.
Pin#6 is Direction Enable on the MAX485 chip.  Defaults to Low for reading and high for writing to the PC
Pin#7 is VFD Data Out to the PC
Pin#8 is READ data from the PC
Pins#9,10 are VCC (5vdc)

Another note that "DCM" or DC Common on the screw terminals is not directly died to Pin#1 ground listed above.  This DCM screw terminal actually connects to one of the corner pins on the 26-Pin ribbon cable going to the board in the lower level of the VFD.  The "V0" also is not tied directly to the ground on Pin#1 it actual goes through opto isolator PC1 to ensure the it is isolated from noisy areas in the VFD.  The only reliable way to take readings is by accessing the pins on the unpopulated connector.  Hope this helps someone.

Russ
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2011, 04:47:14 PM »
Congratulations Russ,

Mate, your a legend.
Lots of great info in your posts that will definitely help me when my chips arrive and I run this plugin.

Cheers,
Phil
« Reply #204 on: February 17, 2011, 04:07:08 PM »
Hi all.

Any one know how I get the actual RPM to show in MachStdMill add on w/ this plugin? I can't get it to work.

Best regards /L
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
DrLove,

I assume your talking about the brand new screen set which is suppose to be part of MACH4 if that happens?  I have not tried that new screen set have heard some good things about it, but I can tell you that using the standard 1024 screen set that comes with MACH the VFD does read correctly inside of MACH3.  I added nothing extra other than the Huanyang VFD plugin and when the VFD reads 6000 then MACH reads 6000.  I have found some small variation depending on the actual speed requested but it is always very close.  For example sometimes I request 8500 and it will come back 8480 or something like that so not sure why but close enough for my needs.

Russ
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
Thanks Russ.

I get 0 RPM.
Where/how can I check what DRO # to use in the plugin for spindle speed? Maybe there’s another # for the machstdmill screen set?

Best regards L
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
DrLove,

Well the problem is we are using a Plugin for the Huanyang VFD unlike those that can implement the RS485 link using standard modbus and a brain.  The plugin actually pulls the requested RPM and sends it over the RS485 link and the VFD sends the actual RPM back over the same link.  Mach gets updated via the plugin again.  I am not certain which DROs he is using so the only way to modify the plugin to work with the new screen set would be to talk to the design of the screen set who would probably be able to provide a switch when using this plugin as many people use this plugin for the VFD.  Or if Matty Zee could modify the plugin or provide the sourcing so people could make the required changes.

You might want to contact the screen company first they might be able to provide a quick fix.

Russ :)
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2011, 02:40:33 PM »
Isn't that what the plugin config box already has?
The two text boxes marked Spindle Amps DRO and Spindle Speed DRO addresses allow them to be set to what ever you need.
Or am I missing something?
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
Cmdr114,

You are absolutely correct my mistake.  The plugin initialization screen has two boxes at the bottom:

Spindle Amps DRO  1001
Spindle Speed DRO 1002

So you are correct you can change the DRO fields required.  Apparently, the new screen set must have moved them or requires different addresses.  I have not used that screen set so can not comment on the required addresses of the DROs required.

Thanks for keeping me straight Cmdr114   :)