Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:07:54 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577521 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
Since installing this plug-in I have been suffering with similar problems to others with lockup when trying to switch off the spindle after being able to start it fine.
The cure for me turned out to be very simple, I just used two ferrite cable filters one on the USB cable close to the PC and the second just after the screw terminal
block on the RS485 interface.
The filters I used are similar to these http://www.leadertechinc.com/bisectedround.shtml I just happen to have a couple on some old network cables I had lying around.
I hope this might be helpfull to others.
John
« Reply #181 on: February 04, 2011, 08:42:39 AM »
I have also found that RS Components do these ferrites http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2224359.
My Router spindle is really working well so many thanks to Matty for the plug-in.
John
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
I posted a theory on one of these forums that they may be either off a reject line or just really poor QC. Like you say you can't expect alot give the price.

The thing that I spent heaps of time doing just like you (blaming s/w, configs etc etc) was when i was trying to setup the braking resistor. The manual says it has this ability, Chai sent me the specs on the external resistor... and the end all the switching parts are missing! Had to totally dissassemble the unit to get to the lower board to see this. I'm just happy I didn't spend the $$ to get a high wattage dump resistor.

Ah its all part of the fun... Just keep repeating that and try to smile :)

Really want to see a few more working with the plugin... so far the only confirmed two sounds like me an Matty!

mhasting2004, I know you were interested in using braking resistor and discovered the missing parts on the lower board.
I also have a unit which was missing the RS485 chip (installed and working now) as well as the resistor switching stuff.  I decided to take a closer look at the braking resistor circuitry and it looks to me that the only part missing on mine is the power IGBT (FGA15N120 http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FG/FGA15N120ANTDTU_F109.html)

I am using the drive on a 2HP BP mill and wanted to have braking for tapping operations.  The IGBT is only few dollars although no one has in stock except for one place which I got a RFQ into, so I am willing to try it.

Attached are few pictures of my drive boards.

Huge thanks to MattyZee for the plugin.

« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
BTW here http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/vfd-resistor-value-101354/ is a little more info about sizing of the braking resistor.  It is nothing special and can be had for under 10$.
This place here has a nice chart for sizing the resistor http://www.powerohm.com/pohmBrakingResistors.aspx
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »
Hi Sinij kot

I'll be very interested to see how you go. I put this on the back burner and its good to see someone else persuing in this... I'll have to revisit this again.

One question ow do you know that the missing power transistor (or FET) Q23 is the same component as those that are on the other side? I asked Chai to get me specs of the missing parts but he was unable to at the time I was asking.
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:40 PM »
Here is the data sheet for the missing IGBT (Q23).
I assume it is the same as the drive IGBT's because the associated drive circuitry is the same and it would make sense to use the same component in that position.

I have also attached the data sheet for the IGBT driver chip (PC11).

The data sheets are free from http://www.datasheetarchive.com/

The 2.2kW drive I have is missing Q23, PC11, D1 (on the back of the board) and the wire link from P+ to R8.
It also seems to be a slightly different board revision than Sinij kot's board. Pics and circuit to follow.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Phil
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »
So Phill are you saying that on your board they have a Sharp brand opto instead of the Toshiba TLP351 shown in Siniji's photo? Looking at the data sheet I cant see why they would short pins 6 and 7. I'll have a look at mine when I get a chance.

So who is going to be game to try it first? I'd suggest just testing without the braking resistor first to see that the IGBT switches. I's expect some PWM signal based on the current level feedback during decell.

Once I source the parts I'll have to borrow the scope from work to verify. RS here in OZ has the FGA25N120ANTD stock but still chasing the opto.

I agree that it would be logical to use the same drive components. I never got around to reverse engineering the circuit diagram of this area.

This actually really good timing as I was just sorting out my safe stop (as opposed to e-stop) circuit.
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2011, 12:21:05 AM »
Doing a quick compare the Sharp PC925L0NSZ0F seems like a better match for the Toshiba TLP351 and then the 6-7 pin short makes more sense.  Phill are you sure about the PC11 part number you posted?

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
Quote from: mhasting2004
Doing a quick compare the Sharp PC925L0NSZ0F seems like a better match for the Toshiba TLP351 and then the 6-7 pin short makes more sense.  Phill are you sure about the PC11 part number you posted?

I can't be sure because mine is missing but it's my best guess, the accociated circuit is the same as the other drive opto's.

Quote from: mhasting2004
So Phill are you saying that on your board they have a Sharp brand opto instead of the Toshiba TLP351 shown in Siniji's photo?
Yep, I have the Sharp opto's on mine.

I've attached some pics of my board. I bought the unit about 3 weeks ago.

I thought the board might be a different revision because of the board shape and the missing track with the white line between PC11 and CN3 on my board compared to Siniji's photo.

You will notice that the link wire to P+ is missing and D1 on the back also in my photo's.

One of the questions I still haven't answered is why they have disabled the input power relay. It is wire linked (Q1) to be permanently on and the opto is missing (PC12).

The control electronics would get power through R8 if it was off and the drive power would be disconnect from the mains. I wonder if that switching feature is required to disconnect the drive power from the mains when in braking mode.
Just some thoughts.

Still working on the circuit drawing,
Phil
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Well I got some work done on the VFD circuit and have attached a smart PDF document.

As with all first revision documents, there may be errors. Hopefully not to many but if you spot something that does not make sense then let me know.

CN2 is for the 26 core cable connector between boards, I plan on making a duplicate with a breakout connector in the middle for probing while the drive is running. 
Don't hold your breath for any results with in the next two weeks though, I'm going to be a bit busy. I will try to post the results when I can.
I'm interested to see if the relay is signaled to open when the braking resistor is enabled and the drive is winding down.

I have attached a few more random pics of the boards as well.
It's worth noting that the IGBT's silicone heat-sink strip was half under the 3 phase bridge which would have caused a thick layer of paste next to it. Not great for heat conduction away from the bridge rectifier.
The other pic's are of the capacitor board and the control board, note the missing relay(near side) and RS485 chip (far side).

Cheers,
Phil