Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 04:57:23 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577519 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »
Hi Guys!

Thanks a lot for this plugin!!

BUT, Im having some problems, and Im not sure what to make of it.

I had a VFD without the RS485 chip installed. So today I soldered one in place. I hooked up R+/R- to the A/B on my RS485-to-USB converter, and setup everything according to manuals.

So in Mach3 on the plugin-window I get the PD001 and PD002 reading 2 and 2 as it should.

So I type in a speed of 6000, and the VFD correctly shows 100Hz on the display. And whatever speed I type in in mach3, the corresponding correct frequency is displayed at the VFD. YAY I thought, and pressed the Turn Spindle On-button, and the spindle fires up. If I press i.e. Zero X-button right after turning the spindle on - there is some lag, maybe 2 seconds before it actually zeros the X-axis.

So far, so good. When I now try to regulate the speed. I.e. to 8000rpms, mach3 freezes. The speed doesn't change on VFD or anything. When I finally can get mach3 to force-shutdown, I can't restart mach3 again. I have to restart the computer.
So the exact same thing happens if I press the Turn Spindle On/Off-button again to turn off the spindle. Mach3 freezes.

Sometimes I get the Server Busy-window up which I can't get out of. But usually it just freezes indefinatly.

So Ive tried a few things - Ive tried adjusting the kernel speed, changing USB-port of the USB-to-RS485-converter, even soldering on a new and fresh RS485 chip. All the same results.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ive got the CNC running by Gecko540, and the spindle is a 2.2kW water-cooled one with the corresponding VFD.
The PC is a quite new one running windows XP SP3

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
  • Time is the same in a relative way
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »
I dont think this is related to the plugin itself, but rather the VFD is causing electrical noise which is freezing Mach3. Are you using a smoothstepper by any chance? These are very sensitive to noise.
Cheers

David
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
I dont think this is related to the plugin itself, but rather the VFD is causing electrical noise which is freezing Mach3. Are you using a smoothstepper by any chance? These are very sensitive to noise.

That may be... Im not using the smoothstepper.

Is there an easy way to reduce the noise so I can see if it helps? If it does help, I can then invest in a decent filter of some sort (any ideas on a more permanent noise filter?).

But I would really like to try out first to see if this is really the problem.

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »
Just search this forum for emi and electrical noise, or google if you want, there is a mass of info out there.
Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:16 PM »
Bah!

So I've googled some, and I must say, I don't really understand the noise thing. Does the noise only or mostly travel through the cables? Or is it i.e. radiating noise from the spindle through air?

I tried maximising the distance between the VFD and the spindle, and changing the RS+/- cable to a shielded and twisted cable. However, without results.

It seems that as soon as I turn on the spindle, the modbus/mach3 freezes. Doesnt matter if I turn it on though mach3, or manually on the VFD (however, the RS+/- cables are still connected through modbus)

I see from earlier in this thread that people have had the same problems as me, but as far as I can see, there was no solution. Or at least none told about it here.

Anyone else have an idea that I can try? Or is the next step adding some ferrite donuts around the all VFD-cables?

I really want this to work :( :(

Thanks for any input!! Its greatly appreciated :)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »
You can buy an emi filter and put it on the AC input side of the VFD (not between the vfd and the motor). I got one from ebay. Use shielded cables for all signal lines and only earth one end of the shield, so that it acts like a faraday cage.
Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
You can buy an emi filter and put it on the AC input side of the VFD (not between the vfd and the motor). I got one from ebay. Use shielded cables for all signal lines and only earth one end of the shield, so that it acts like a faraday cage.
Cheers
Dave

Thanks! Ill order a filter right away. However, do you know the answer to my first two questions?
Does the noise only or mostly travel through the cables? Or is it i.e. radiating noise from the spindle through air?

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2011, 04:31:36 PM »
That was only one question  ;) The answer is that it travels both in the air and down the cable, but the noise in the cables is usually what affects sensitive devices. Try reading some of the posts on smoothstepper electrical noise issues, since the solutions to those problems should help your noise issues as well.
Cheers

David
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2011, 01:46:04 PM »
That was only one question  ;) The answer is that it travels both in the air and down the cable, but the noise in the cables is usually what affects sensitive devices. Try reading some of the posts on smoothstepper electrical noise issues, since the solutions to those problems should help your noise issues as well.

Ok, I did as you said :) And I deviced a solution! So now everything works as it should, and no more freezing of mach3!

Thank you very much Dave for not letting go of the noise-theory! I should send you some flowers or something :)

For others that might run into the problem:
I used a shielded cable from the USB-RS485 to the VFD. The cable was actually a firewire cable, which is extensivley shielded. I soldered on a wire onto the shield in the cable, and grounded it. The I put the whole USB-RS485 inside my computer chassis (Im not sure if thats a good idea or not. At least its shielded against the very noisy VFD).

So the key is keeping the USB-RS485 away from the VFD, and to ground ONE end of the shield in the cable. As DMBGO says, gounding only one end of the shield will make a faraday cage!

Thanks again Dave / DMBGO :)

Offline DMBGO

•  201 201
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
What a nice result! I cant take all of the credit, my knowledge has been gleaned from a variety of sources, and people on this forum such as Jeff Birt and others have spent a lot of time testing and finding solutions for electrical noise problems, but thanks for the compliments anyway.
I'll look forward to the flowers, it will brighten up the workshop :)

Cheers
Dave
Cheers

David