Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:41:45 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577504 times)

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2010, 10:15:25 AM »
Hello Again,
Just a few points I hope you will find helpful.
If Mach3 locks up when starting the spindle just unplug USB to RS485 converter and Mach should recover, to test again close Mach 3 as normal and then plug USB in then restart Mack3.
Might be useful setting PD024 to 1 so you can switch Spindle Off via Stop Button on VFD.
Thanks,
BK.
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2010, 06:34:09 PM »
EMI noise is a big issue with these VFD's and I had lots of problems with my Smoothstepper lockups due to it. I seem to have fixed my issues with a line filter on the VFD (as close as possible to the unit) and putting a couple of wraps of the usb cable to the SS around a ferrite core. I have no suppression on the lines going to the Spindle and all my cables are sheilded with a single ground point

That great news BK.

Kare I wanted to implement a braking resistor so i can pull large bits up as fast as possible in the case of an estop situation. I don't agree with just dropping the power from the VFD as they will coast for a very long time compared to a controlled stop from the VFD.
 What I believe is missing is a comparitor/op-amp that monitors the buss voltage an a power transistor that bleeds some of this power off to the 75 ohm high wattage resistor. The other problem I have is actually getting a stop command to be sent to the VFD when an Estop is initiated. Since all the inputs seem to be disabled when you select comms control on the VFD t looks like I may need to cut into the stop button on the front of the VFD (it is still active)

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Well I have been had. My RS485 chip is missing too. Just checked and there are some nice little blobs only as per Kare's picture.

I think i'll sign up and get some Maxim chips sent out
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:01 PM »
Guys they cost like $1.37 AU at Farnells so is it really worth the hassle of trying to scam freebies?

Offline Kare

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2010, 01:30:06 AM »
@mhasting2004
I don't just turn it off, I use deceleration slope and works perfectly for me since there is virtually no load load on motor shaft so it stops in set time.

You are absolutely right that it's hassle for us and for Maxim. But in Croatia there is minimum ordering price from Farnell. And at the time I don't need anything else so this is way I had to take. This is actually second time in my life to order samples so I pointed out this option for people in similar to my position. So people don't exploit do it only if actually necessary.

Cheers all :)
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2010, 02:13:31 AM »
 Kare how do you get mach to turn off the spindle when you get an external estop? I've found that if I click the Reset button in Mach it acts like an estop and the drives and Spindle are issued with a stop command however if I hit my external estop (which mach recongnises and sets the reset button flashing) no spindle stop command is forth coming. Been playing with brains to see if I can fix this but ultimately I will hardwire the stop button to my Estop circuit to by pass software (never a good idea to trust s/w)

I'm really happy that we have found a definite answer to why some people are having so many issues with the plugin These things are never easy to diagnose especially "remotely"

Cheers

Offline Kare

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »
mhasting2004 I wanted from a start to connect it via RS485 so at the time I do manually :). I have PD001=0 and PD002=1 - run and stop on VFDs buttons and speed over 10k pot. If you have spare contact on your external button you can use it to directly turn spindle off. You just have to set one of the inputs of VFD to be STOP. For example you can set PD044 (FOR contact) to 4 and that should do the trick. You send Mach info about stop and at the same time you do hardware stop (much safer than s/w as you pointed out).

Hope that's the answer you were looking for.
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2010, 03:12:47 AM »
What I and others have found is that when you setup the VFD for control via serial comms (ie rs485 and the plugin) it unfortunately ignores all the other inputs. I even set one of them to Estop hoping that this is an input it would not ignore... no luck. Please try it once you get yours communicating as it may be a missing bit on mine :)

Just in the process of pulling my VFD keypad apart to add an external stop connection.

Will post pics when done
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2010, 03:43:44 AM »
Well I've found out why I couldn't program from the keypad recently... 3 of the surface mount buttons are not working ... might be time for me to run to Farnells and get some contact cleaner or a couple switches. Its obvious these were hand assembled by the poor component placement and dodgy solder job.

This fault however was a good thing in some ways... i'm getting my mate to modify Spindle talker to have a parameter backup facility and it also has convinced me that a secondary external stop button is a very good idea.

Cheers

PS I'll post the new Talker once its done.

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2010, 04:05:24 AM »
It seems the keypads are all hand soldered. My keypad gave me erroneous outputs. 4 was a H, 1 was _1 and so on. I think there are a number of dry joints so i was considering soldering the driver again after buying new ones. Farnell should have all of it, just a matter of buying the right chips. Atleast i'll make up the minimum $10

Post a pic wwhen you finish mark.