Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:38:41 AM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD controller plugin  (Read 577528 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD controller plugin
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2010, 06:19:14 AM »
I'll check when I get home... 2hours

Cheers
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 08:39:35 AM »
Hit the nail on the head Kare... mines got this populated. My eyes are too stuffed to read this tonight but will get someone with better eyesight to read the chip spec.  Wonder how many others have the same issue.

BK can you check this on yours

Offline Kare

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2010, 10:10:20 AM »
Great, thanks.

At least there is possible solution. When you guys check specs I'll solder the chip on PCB and test drive it. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2010, 03:15:19 PM »
Hello Mark and Kare,
Sorry had trouble logging on and also just finishing skimming my vaccum plate.
Ok had a look and yes that location is for RS485 chip mine has no markings, but you can use the MAX485, I'm sure you know but use an ESD strap.
While checking for identification marks on the chip noticed dry joints (poor soldering) and also same on a few other chips, so I have reflowed these and will let you know tomorrow as I have to cut a PCB for tomorrow.

Kare, hope this solves your problem one thing without that chip your system is useless as you rightly pointed out.

Thanks,
BK.

Offline mikie

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »
This is great prgress guys, well done Kare. Good thinking to look for the RS485 chip. Bloody Chinese will do anything to save a cent.

So, given the feedback, does this imply that the RS485 chip is generic? Just wondering if the 2 chips identified are the only ones on the market?

Matty,

I did have EMF issues, but I have placed chokes everywhere. My unit has been running okay for a while now so i figured my effort to supress on the AC and on the 3 phase to the motor had worked. Maybe I have to get the CRO out and go over each and every point and look for noise.

PS: Congrats on the new little one!

/M
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 09:31:32 PM by mikie »
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »
Ok I took apart my binoculars to get a decen magnifying glas and I read it as a 75176B from Texas Instruments which is one of these:
http://au.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=75176b

A differential bus tranciever... so that makes sense. Check the spec sheet and see if the pinouts make sense.

Others have had issues with poor soldering and other components are missing like relays and breaking resistor transistors...(thats one I would like to get the spec on just quiety.

Cheers

Offline Kare

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2010, 04:05:06 AM »
Thank you all.
Anyone missing this chip can probably use any pin compatible transceiver IC (be sure to check on datasheet of 75176B to make sure, most important are voltage levels!!! These MUST be identical), but I personally prefer Maxim for comm IC. Unfortunately my local electronic store doesn't sell these so I ordered some samples directly from Maxim (it's free for anyone interested, you just need to register). Maybe my friend has some so I don't have to wait for these.

@BK
No worry I have long experience in electronics but good tip for all that will go through with this procedure.

For everyone who wants to do this:
If you don't have ESD strip make sure to at least discharge yourself before you grab IC by touching some grounded metal object like plumming pipes or something similar just make sure you touch unpainted surface. If you never done something like this ask someone who did!!! One beer is cheaper than any VFD ;)

@mikie
Well they mostly tend to reduce cost anywhere however the final price is also quite low. So I honestly didn't expect it to be state of the art since i payed for bundled VFD+motor 350$ (witch is less then what you would pay for equivalent power Danfoss VFD only) but missing parts is simply unbelievable since I lost 2 days blaming my converter, software, cables, port etc. and never considered that they would actually sell unfinished product.
There are many transceivers that are pin compatible with these so one can say that is generic design. Difference is mostly in quality, max speed and power consumption of the chip.
Here are datasheets for just 3:
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX1487-MAX491.pdf
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/ADM485.pdf
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/texasinstruments/sn65176b.pdf

I'll post back when it's done and tested.
Cheers
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »
I posted a theory on one of these forums that they may be either off a reject line or just really poor QC. Like you say you can't expect alot give the price.

The thing that I spent heaps of time doing just like you (blaming s/w, configs etc etc) was when i was trying to setup the braking resistor. The manual says it has this ability, Chai sent me the specs on the external resistor... and the end all the switching parts are missing! Had to totally dissassemble the unit to get to the lower board to see this. I'm just happy I didn't spend the $$ to get a high wattage dump resistor.

Ah its all part of the fun... Just keep repeating that and try to smile :)

Really want to see a few more working with the plugin... so far the only confirmed two sounds like me an Matty!

Offline Kare

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2010, 05:16:12 AM »
Well so far there was no need for me to use braking so I don't know whether that is also missing or not. But I'll check if you want.

Obviously we had similar experience with brilliant engineering and multiple visions of standardization inside single device :)

Hope to join you two guys in using this mystical VFD evasive feature. And if possible help other poor souls trapped inside this engineering wonder :D

Cheers

Offline BK

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
Hello All,
Had a few minutes between jobs, tested VFD and get comms established amazing what poor quality soldering escapes QC in China.
Anyway just tried with small twisted pair and can switch on spindle but locks Mach3 due to noise (assumption).
Simple test is to leave speed at zero and switch spindle ON (Spindle CW F5 button on Mach3) display should stop flashing and display 00000, because no noise generated we can press again and VFD display should start flashing.
Will try to test properly this weekend and will post results.

Thanks,
BK.