Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:36:49 PM

Author Topic: Shapes 2d V2  (Read 5316 times)

Shapes 2d V2
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »
I have been playing with and taking advantage of some of the wizards lately, and this one looks like it would work right into one mold making project I am working on, but I can't figure out how to save or retireve the g-code or if it is even generating it. 

Is there a place to discuss or ask questions about Shapes 2d V2 by German Bravo? 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Shapes 2d V2
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
I can't figure out how to save or retireve the g-code or if it is even generating it. 

Never used this particular wizard but I remember reading somewhere here that you need to make sure you've entered a value into every field - even if it's zero and you want zero - enter a zero. Don't know why but defaults don't seem to work too well in wizards.

You'll know whether it's made gcode without having to switch back to mach because when you hit the gcode button it'll show in the toolpath window (of the wizard). I had a quick play and sure enough it didn't seem to make gcode at first but once I'd typed something into every field it worked.

Is there a place to discuss or ask questions about Shapes 2d V2 by German Bravo? 

I reckon here's fine

Cheers

Ian
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
You'll know whether it's made gcode without having to switch back to mach because when you hit the gcode button it'll show in the toolpath window (of the wizard). I had a quick play and sure enough it didn't seem to make gcode at first but once I'd typed something into every field it worked.

That might be it.  I'll give it a go this evening. 
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »
That was the ticket.  I just clicked on every data entry item and then hit enter.  I am cutting a test piece on a block of wood now.  Thanks. 
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
Working unit is inches.  

Not sure if its a bug or what, but I have discovered something odd.  After getting the Shapes Wizard working I cut a test on a block of wood (so I could cut it faster).  The test was a simple relief (raised) circle.  It came out distinctly lemon shaped.  At a radius (radio) of .75 it came out approximately 1.5 by 1.3 with a distinct point at each end on the X Axis.  Afterwards I looked at the tool path and you can kinda see it on screen.  Its generated that way.  I regenerated the tool path several times and went back to see if there was anything in setup that could be causing it, and could find nothing.  

This gives me some cause to realize I'll need to make a test cut for every shape using this wizard before I can consider it as part of my go to tools.  

P.S.  Over the last week or so I have been testing all of the wizards that are suitable to run on my machine and figuring out how to use them so when I need them I can just do it.  

P.P.S.  For quick measurements and on wood I just use a dial caliper, but when the the error is so obviously visible its good enough for estimating purposes.  I do also have a good set of mics from 1" to 6" with standards.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:37:32 PM by Bob La Londe »
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 03:42:34 PM »
Playing with some of the other shapes in this wizard to see what else I could find I had an artifact destroy a another test piece.  In the rectangle tool of all things.  Just for fun I decided to try and use the rectangle tool to make a two piece box that fits together tightly.  I cut a pocket in one piece and a relief on the next, and fitted them together.  Then with the two pieces fitted I decide to cut them both around the outside (relief) to match smoothly ont he outside.  For no apparent reason there was an artifact or bad cut that went right onto the material that was supposed to be left behind. 

I do not think I'll be using this wizard much at all. 

I'm sure glad I tested it on some scrap MDF before trying to make something with it.