Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:07:51 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 + Galil  (Read 131880 times)

Re: Mach3 + Galil
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 10:36:16 AM »
I just wanted to say that I am the one who originally did the camsoft retro on that 40,000lb mill brian has been using as the M3/Galil test subject, it took me over a year of almost constant work, to get camsoft to even begin to move remotely well... then they told me i *couldn't use the keyboard for jogging.. because that's a poor-man's jogging routine*...  i went to see brian & the mill a couple months back.. and.. WOW...  i had despaired of ever seeing that thing move... let alone move smoothly!

just wanted to put a big *thumbs up* out to brian & art... now i just wish i were still working with that machine :(

-Nate

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 10:54:17 PM »
I'm trying to make work my galil 2140 and it's a real pain. The controller disconnect every time, forget it's ip and I got the error 15 when I try to update the firmware by ethernet ... When mach3 start with the plugin, it write that the answer is too long ... Am I the only one that got thoses troubles or it's normal ?
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
What do you have for a network that you are hooking the device to? Also what is the IP range that you are using?

Thanks
Brian
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 08:12:41 AM by Brian Barker »
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »
I have a rooter only for my pc and the galil. My ip is 192.168.1.100 and the galil 192.168.1.150. The router is not on the dhcp mode.
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »
Try setting the IP to 192.168.100.110 and see if it will work better...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »
HI there, I thought I would chime in a little for efrem....first, you can only upgrade the firmware if you are connected via serial port...will not work with ethernet....
also, you probably have a dip switch set on you 2140 that whenset to "on" , will perform a "master reset" every time that you power on...among many other variables, the master reset clears your ethernet hookup...it also clears all servo tuning, i/o setups etc...that setting should not be used in normal operation....

as far as hooking up the serial port...you need what they call a "straight through" serial cable, not a "null modem" cable....

the galil smartterm should guide you through hooking up the network, I have done it with a router, and with a "crossover" cable with no router...easier with the router...I think with the crossover you have to turn off the auto adress assigner thing in windows...and pick a address....

hope some of this helps I had fun finding the answers to both of those questions...not!

Roo

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
Thanks roodesign,

I upgraded the fimware with the serial cable and now it works. My problem now is that I can connect ( I have done all the steps in the help file ) by ethernet but the connection is very very slow, ureliable and I lost 50 to 75% of the ping that I send to the controller. I can connect 1 time out of 10 and I got a lot of timeout errors.  I have set the ip by the serial cable and the connection by ethernet still unusable. How can I solve that ?

My other question is; do I need to set my servo drives in velocity or torque mode ?

Also, when I try to move the motor in the terminal, it say that my motors are disable. How can I enable them ?

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
I forgot, it's possible to get motion by the serial connection and does mach3 works with this connection ?
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:20 PM »
HI there....

I don't know what to say about you ethernet connection...bad cable,  noise,   bad nic or router?   lots of things to try....(can you try with a diff router, puter, or crossover cable?

I think that Galil tells you to use torque mode for standard analog servo amps (+ - 10v input)

I highly reccomend galil's wdsk software for tuning servo's etc...it's got a page that has a list of all the parameters like motor disable etc etc etc...much easier than typing in commands in the smartterm  it's $200 or so, but it was worth it for me..

there is a command reference that you can download at the galil sight that tells all the comands...your drives might be disabling because you have the polarity set wrong between the motor and the encoder, ...and the stop on error is set....lots of things to try...again!!!

the best of luck, hope you have a bad cable, or router, or something, and not your galil....what machine are you controlling?

Offline efrem

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2007, 07:53:04 PM »
I try to retrofit a Jafo milling.

I got a program called DMC Setup and it seems to be like your wdsk , it's visual and you can change all the variable al the screen without typing them.

Do you know if I can get motion from the serial cable ? , if yes, I wont waste my time over the ethernet. Serial communication seems to be very fast !