Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:08:54 AM

Author Topic: a couple of suggestions if kenny or smurph have time  (Read 4095 times)

a couple of suggestions if kenny or smurph have time
« on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
ive just completed another big machine retrofit using the mach/ galil plugin
this one  i had to battle with as its main control box had been disconnected and rewired by an "electrician".... lots of wiring faults to sort through in multiple 100+ wire looms

one of my main queries is can all galil faults be passed to the mach screen from the plugin?
eg. doesnt always show an axis fault on galil back to mach. mach can continue for a while with an axis fault? 
on this conversion, due to a noise fault on z axis which took some tracing the z axis may disable but mach would continue (i believe it was emptying its look ahead buffer?) it is wired with seperate amp enables.

doesnt always pass the limit switches to mach screen with limits wired to galil only... but "usually" shows as error code when trying to move if a switch is on limit

quite often if there has been a minor fault with galil which will reset on mach reset but mach would then ignore some vb scripts , brains and delivering commanded outputs or reading inputs afterwards- requiring a reboot of mach to put right.

eg. today it was running a large file but stopped after approx 1500 lines. the z axis had lost its enable signal. resetting mach corrected this and reset the galil but after this mach wouldnt turn on the spindle etc. can be a bit worrying when you try to rehome etc when inputs are not recognised,
 ive put the stop down to running with oe set at 1 on z axis (er set at 1 full turn 8196 counts for z axis) even though it hadnt gone off pitch at all. seems to run the file nicely with OE set off
( i had this on my other machine too, i had to run with OE set off or a program could just stop mid way. with it off it never faults)
the annoying thing is when this happens mach just stops, but doesnt have a message to say what caused it on screen

so basically is there a way to pass all errors from galil straight to mach?

also... any progress on lathe threading yet? it seems its the only thing galil cant do yet? im sure all the math needed has been described in detail by art recently on the mach yahoo forum. it seems he has finally cracked the code for a gret thread, using the paralel port at least. i have a nice lathe here if you want testing help etc/
if its not broken yet, fit more gadgets!

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: a couple of suggestions if kenny or smurph have time
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
I'll speak with Steve about posting additional errors to mach. I am making progress with lathe threading too, it has only been two years getting it to sync correctly. Now I need to implement the thread features as per Peter Smid. That will take me into the summer to get right. It is going to require a spindle mounted encoder with index pulse to sync properly.  No single slot disk for this application unfortunately. Look at what Art has been going through on the other forum and you will realise that threading is not as easy as one would think.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
re error codes that would be a great help ken. thanks

glad to see your still on the threading case!

there was me thinking if using an encoder you would be a ble to use the galil gearing function to track it easily... obviously not the case.  still plenty to learn!
  im happy to help test if you need someone extra.

will you do rigid tapping then ? ;-)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 02:23:59 PM »
hi kenny. did you speak to smurph re extra error code passing? ie is it possible?

any further progress on your miracle threading yet? was looking very promising on the last mail you sent me!

would you or steve like to work on an interesting galil project when you have some free time... galil laser toolpath projector