Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:46:19 PM

Author Topic: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info  (Read 147425 times)

Re: XBox360 Controller Plugin New User Info
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2012, 08:30:19 AM »
Still have the same issue with the thumbsticks...they stay in step mode, regardless of the Mach jog tab setting.

Drafterman

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
The thumbsticks should work the same as the keyboard.  Does the keyboard allow you to go continuous?
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »
Yes, keyboard jog works fine...

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
Then there are 3 possibilities:
1. the controller is defective
2. you did not download the DirectX redistributables as indicated on the plugin page
3. the installation was damaged. You have to back it out and reinstall it

If you have not downloaded and installed the DirectX, then I would do that first.  After that I would remove and reinstall the plugin.  Here is a link on how to do it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mach1mach2cnc/message/132662

If you have a way to test the controller or replace it with another one then you could try that last.  After these steps, if the problem still exists, you can send me the XML file and I'll look at it.

Keep me posted.
Lee
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
OK, I confirmed the DirectX 9.0C installation on my Windows XP SP-2 machine.  I also removed the Xbox 360 plugin as well as deleted the folder from the .XML.  However, when I try to reinstall the XBox360_32Eng.exe I get an error that says "not a valid Win32 application".  I don't recall seeing this the first time I installed this...

By the way, I borrowed the same controller from my neighbor previously and I got the same results, thus I am sure it is not the gamepad.

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:45 AM »
First of all, I would suggest that you go ahead and upgrade to XP SP3.  The "not a valid Win32 app" message indicates that XBox360_32Eng.exe was damaged during download.  That file is simply the driver for the XBox360 controller.  If your controller was working, then you do not need to reinstall it.  Try downloading and installing the plugin from the MachSupport page again and see if it is working now.  If not then go to the following location:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=0684eede15b08730&resid=684EEDE15B08730!322&parid=684EEDE15B08730!321&authkey=!APyvaSOc1ayKAAI

and download the file XBox360Controllertest. Unzip it and run it.

You should see a picture of the controller.  When you move the thumbsticks, you should see a small blue line on the thumbstick image that changes its length as you move the thumbstick.  If it does that, then your thumbstick is working properly.  Try that and then let me know what is happening.

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2012, 12:46:51 AM »
drafterman-

The XML file that you sent to Scott (support) was forwarded to me.  The XML file looks strange.   For one thing, I don't see the ProductID and VendorID. It may be that reinstalling the plugin will fix the problem.  I have seen that happen before. Keep me posted.

Lee
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
Still no joy.  I started from scratch again, but I could not get the XBox 32Eng.exe from machsupport to work.  So I found a later version from Microsoft.  I reinstalled the plugin and now the vendor & product IDs are in the XML, but still have the same issue with the thumbsticks only...everything else works great.
I could not get the controller test to work either...I upgraded my .net framework to get it to install, but it still won't run.  I can get the gamepad calibrater in hardware manager to indicate movement from the thumbsticks. 

Is there a manual mod I can make to the .XML?
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
Bought a controller yesterday and just installed it today.  A couple of points...

If you buy a controller new it comes with an install disc, which I installed - seemed to avoid all the pain of downloading stuff from microsoft etc.  (My PC had the right version of DirectX.)

Once I discovered how to use the buttons on the controller and "receiver" to connect, everything sprang into life.

Now, a question if I may.  The LH joystick works fine for X and Y on my mill.  To start with the RH stick L<->R axis was assigned to Z which I find slightly counter intuitive, so I reassigned RH U<->D, but though this worked it was very slow and there is no apparent way to change it.  Is this a feature of the controller or can it be reconfigured please?

However I think this is a good gadget and great plug-in, much superior to the Shuttle Express I was using before.  And no cable!

Thanks, John.

Offline Leed3

•  162 162
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi John,

The plugin uses the same code for all operations on the right joystick.  So, when you shift it from left-right to up-down, there should be no difference in the speed.  I believe that your problem is external to the plugin.  It could be 1. the settings in Mach  2. the mill itself 3. the controller or 3. the software powering the controller.  Are you using a Microsoft XBox360 controller?

Here is what I would do:

Assign the Z axis to left-right on the left controller and try it.  If the problem continues then the cause is either the Mach settings or the Mill.  If the problem goes away then the cause is the controller itself or the software powering it.

Mach settings such as motor tuning can cause the steppers to run slow. If all 3 steppers are the same then the motor control settings should all be the same.  You can check the controller by recalibrating it in the windows Control Panel (if it is Microsoft). Other controllers have their own calibration program that you can use.  

Give those a try and post back the results.
Lee