Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:01:45 AM

Author Topic: Galil + G31+ Mach3  (Read 29332 times)

Re: Galil + G31+ Mach3
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »
OK, I switched to the DLL version on the download page - for the probe, I am using a normally closed switch, probe is wired to X, Y, and Z latch, digitize input is set to the Z latch input, active low box is checked, digitize input lights up when I touch the switch.  Calling G31 makes the machine move as expected, however, sometimes, the motion stops when the switch is hit, sometimes the motion stops when the switch is hit, then released (motion stops on the release), sometimes, it doesn't stop at all - I can't figure out any pattern to it...
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:52 AM »
How have you wired the probe?  On the Galil, we use the latch inputs.  Input 1 = X, 2 = Y, 3 = Z, etc...  If your Z axis is Galil axis 3, then the probe needs to be wired to input 3.  Also, the DIGITIZE signal needs to be mapped to the input #3's pin number.  All this is fine if all you want to probe is Z moves.  But if you want to do X, Y, and Z, then the probe needs to be wired to inputs 1, 2, and 3.  Then you need a brain to set DIGITIZE signal based on if either input 1, 2, or 3 is high.

Steve

I am having the same problem. You say to use the "Latch inputs" . I am confused what you are calling Latch inputs, I do not find any Latch inputs in Mach3 Config either Ports & Pins or the Galil plugin. In another post you say to use Input 3 for the Z-axis. Is this Input 3 in Mach3 Config-Ports & Pins-Inputs or is it Input 3 on the Galil ICM1900, ?
Do I not use the probe input? Right now I am using Galil Input 6 and assigning Probe to pin 30, Active Low. When I use the Mach3 diagnostics window I see the Digitize LED is on and when I touch the touch pad to the tool, the Digitize LED goes off.
When I try to run G31 Z-1 F4 I get a message "Probe Ignore, activated at call for probe" and the Z-axis does not move down. If I touch the probe to ground, then run G31 Z-1 the Z-axis moves down to -1 but does not stop if I either touch or remove the ground from the probe pad.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 01:31:10 PM »
In order to use a Galil, one must understand how the Galil works.  The plugin documentation assumes that the user is familiar with the Galil and we don't try to teach or document Galil aspects that are in the Galil documentation.  You can't simply hook up a Galil and run the plugin and it magically work.  This is because the Galil has its' own motion planner and can be used as a stand alone motion controller.  It is not a "dumb" controller like a parallel port or some other step generator motion device.  This makes it more complicated to setup, but the end result is worth it.  

The latch inputs are a Galil term.  Look at the Galil operator's manual and command reference (AL and RL) and read up on the latch inputs.  There is one latch input per Galil axis.  You need to wire the probe to all of the latch inputs that from which you wish to get a position.  For a 3 axis mill, that would be X, Y, and Z, meaning Galil input 1, 2, and 3.  Galil Input 6 is not going to cut it.  :(

Since the probe will be wired to multiple inputs, simply pick one of those inputs and map it to Mach's probe signal.  Mach only has one probe signal and it is NOT used to capture the the positions.  The Galil does that via AL and RL.  However the Mach probe signal is used to prevent a probe move if it thinks the probe is activated.  If the probe is not activated and Mach thinks it is, simply check or uncheck the Mach digitize "active low" setting until the signal agrees with the actual state of the probe.  

Steve

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »
OK, Thank you. I did find the XLATCH, YLATCH, and ZLATCH pins on the ICM1900. I will try connecting to the ZLATCH input since for now I only need to zero the Z-axis.
I agree the Galil is a powerful controller, and I have been using it successfully for several years now with Mach3. I just recently decided to try the Auto Tool Zero button.
If I understand Mach3 takes care of the AL and RL commands to SmartTerm.

Bob

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »
Correct, the plugin handles AL and RL.  But understand that the plugin will do an AL for every axis it controls.  So you really need to wire the probe to all three of the latch inputs if you have X, Y, and Z axes enabled in Mach, regardless if you will only be doing Z probe moves.  If A axis is enabled in Mach, then wire in input 4 as well. 

Steve

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »
In other words, if you are going to probe, you must dedicate at least inputs 1, 2, and 3 to the probe.  If some other switch is tickling ANY of those inputs, it will be seen as a probe latch.  Not too good!  So please un-wire anything connected to inputs 1 and 2 (X and Y latches) and if you are going to do that, you might as well wire the  probe to all 3 of them.  Remember to wire in input 4 if you have A axis enable in Mach too!

Steve
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:55 AM »
OK, I got it working, but I will add the other two axes tomorrow.
Bob