Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:52:33 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191495 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #800 on: August 03, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I had to do a bit more acrylic cutting so while I was at it I made this - one can only dream.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #801 on: August 04, 2013, 09:47:44 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
I saw the demo of Mach4 at cabin fever and was impressed. It looks like it will be worth the wait.

Speaking of waiting, hopefully I will get some time this winter to work on adding a laser to mu router. I looked at a 3D printer but I don't think the resolution is fine enough for me to build one. Maybe after the laser.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 04, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
Hi Mike,

Adding a laser to an existing machine is not difficult to do but it does entail quite a lot of work so perhaps it is best left for the winter months.  ;)
It would be great if you start a project build thread on this – I, for one, look forward to following your progress.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #803 on: August 06, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
I will probably do a thread on the Zone. If I really get ambitious I will update all my other threads as well.

The first thing I need to do is buy some laser stuff and get it working on the bench. Any ideas on what to buy?

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 06, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Hi Mike,

Assuming you are going for a CO2 laser then…

1) Laser tube and matching high voltage PSU (most likely from China).

2) Gold plated FS mirrors and suitable, adjustable, mirror mounts (the USA made product is superior in quality).

3) Focus lens - GaAs is more hard wearing but I use ZnSe most of the time. Short focal length (small spot size) is good for engraving, longer focal length (larger spot size) is good for cutting (again the USA made product is superior in quality).

4) Water circulating pump for tube cooling – others generally use a submersible pump in a tank of de-ionised water. I use a closed loop system with forced air radiator.

5) Water flow sensor and means of water temperature monitoring.

6) Oil-less compressor to provide ‘air-assist’ when cutting and also to keep the detritus off the valuable lens.

7) Countless number of other bits and stuff to cobble it all together.

Hope this helps.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:29:15 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #805 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Tweakie.
Looks like the most expensive parts will be the tube and power supply. I can cobble up a cooling system just from all the stuff I have lying around.
I thinks I need to save up a few more $$$$$$$$$$$$.

Mike

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »
Following a request, on another forum, I have developed another little device.

This unit records actual laser tube emission time, as opposed to machine run time, and is intended to provide an indication of tube lifetime. It uses RF technology to detect the laser tube emissions so requires no electrical connection to the host machine and will be suitable for use with all makes and models of commercial laser machines which use a dc excited glass laser tube.

Laser tubes have a finite lifetime which can perhaps be likened to draining a tank-full of water – just how long it lasts depends on how wide the tap is opened, however, this unit should be useful in providing averages.

The initial ‘rats-nest’ model has clocked up some 15 hours now and I am looking forward to some serious testing of this, the first prototype.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #807 on: September 18, 2013, 07:19:45 AM »
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver
« Reply #808 on: September 18, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
That is some might fine work. I like it. What are you using to monitor beam on and at what frequency?

Can you add data storage system that monitors & collects beam; on time, emission power and temperatures at tube, coolant and ambient. And then display it in a spread sheet that can be used to predict life cycle? ;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 18, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
Would it not be easier to use a small engine hour meter?

Maybe Jeff.

Can you add data storage system that monitors & collects beam; on time, emission power and temperatures at tube, coolant and ambient. And then display it in a spread sheet that can be used to predict life cycle?

It's all possible Craig and I am sure it would not be too difficult to do if there was a requirement. Perhaps another project is on the horizon.  ;D

Tweakie.

PEACE