Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:19:36 AM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191386 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #740 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:59 AM »
I have been following recent work (done on another forum) with low power lasers producing images using printer Toner.

I had to give it a try using my 40W CO2 laser and this was my first successful test run on a scrap piece of Oak.

IMPORTANT - It should be noted that it is unwise to experiment with fine powders in a confined space so for any that follow please observe the necessary safety precautions and always have a suitable fire extinguisher standing by.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
Something that just had to be tried…

As mentioned earlier, others have a lot of success using lasers to melt / fuse printer Toner onto the surface of wood and I just wondered if it would work with copper clad PCB material.

There are a couple of difficulties to be overcome – firstly getting a thin and even layer of the toner powder onto the copper surface and secondly getting a low enough power level from a 40 Watt laser so as not to completely vaporise the toner.

Once these challenges have been overcome – it is a breeze.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #742 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:32 AM »
That's nice Tweakie. I am picturing a lot of mess after dealing with the toner ;)

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 17, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi Dan,

You are not wrong - the mess was not as bad as I was expecting it to be, but I would not want to be doing this as my day job.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »
One more test using the dreaded Toner.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 07, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
The Parliament Building is probably the most photographed building in Hungary. It's symmetry is just outstanding.

This laser produced rendering is just 50mm square and I think, makes for a good example of the detail that can be reproduced within lithophane’s in general.

Produced from a standard JPG image which I cropped to make it rectangular then using the Mach3 Laser / Impact plugin I scaled it to fit the Corian blank, set the max. laser power to approx. 30% and hit Cycle Start.

By the time I had finished off a can of beer it was done.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 07, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
Very nice Tweakie.......... your just showing off now............. and I like it.  

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #747 on: March 08, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
Wow. Very nice Tweaks. Awesome as usual.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 09, 2013, 03:32:21 AM »
Thanks Guys, but I can’t help thinking that Art deserves the credit here.

Although, over the years, I have made a few minor changes to the code (basically to suit the operation of my own machine) the Impact / Laser Engraving plugin was written by Art in 2007 – long before we even had a laser to test it with. He certainly has foresight and his software never ceases to amaze me.

My current worries are that I will become a Dinosaur - because this plugin works so well, I will never be able to leave Mach3 for Version 4.  ;D

There was some discussion (in another thread) where I doubted that laser produced lithophanes could actually produce a resolution equal to spindle engraved versions but since getting hold of some genuine Corian to try - I now think that it is possible to get extremely close.
The big advantage is that the laser takes half an hour to produce a small, 0.1mm step-over, litho that may take half a day with spindle engraving.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #749 on: March 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
YOU become a dinosaur? doubtful. I feel like a T-Rex because I don't even have a laser. Definitely on the 'to do' list, and climbing closer to the top.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."