Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:38:12 PM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191307 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #560 on: January 20, 2012, 05:43:54 AM »
Good news for laser users - Artsoft, Brian and the Team have now restored the operation of the undocumented M10P1 / M11P1 commands to their former glory. These commands switch an Output pin (determined by the P#) coincident or blended with an axis movement starting and stopping. This now means there is no noticeable delay between the laser being switched on and off and an axis movement so there will no longer be any missing starts to lines or dots appended to lines. Perhaps the most important change here relates to safety in so far as that in returning to an Output (from an axis pin) the software polled EStop can, in an emergency, be used to switch the laser off.

This scale was used as a test piece and was engraved using the M10P1/M11P1 commands and Output #1 to switch the laser and, as far as I can tell, is equal in quality to a similar scale engraved using the B0/B1 commands and the B axis direction pin (as I have previously been using).

A big thanks to Brian and the Team.

Tweakie.

PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #561 on: January 20, 2012, 11:36:51 AM »
Good news indeed, Tweakie! And this was a quick fix. I wonder though what advantage does it give you over your original B0/B1? The only advantage I see is a more "correct" Gcode.

What is scale engraved onto?

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:55 PM »
Hi Dan,

That is just a piece of scrap MDF I used for testing.

There are quite a few problems associated with using an axis direction pin which crop up from time to time and eventually become a real pain.
As mentioned earlier the software polled EStop does not change the state of a direction pin but it can turn off an output thus using an output gives an added safety feature.
Feed hold, if it ever has to be used, creates another issue when motion stops with the laser still on - easier to handle an output than a direction pin here.
My B axis DRO can, in error, somehow get to a -1 step position then the B0 command that is supposed to turn the laser off actually turns it on - another B0 command does nothing to turn the laser off - only the separate commands B1 and B0 will turn the laser off.
At initial power up the state of an axis direction pin is not always guaranteed.
There are a few other issues as well so overall using an output for switching is far far preferable.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #563 on: January 20, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »
Hi Tweakie,

Thanks for clearing it up. Looks like it has some significant improvement indeed.

The reason I asked about the material is that on the photo above it looks like there is some transparent layer between the numbers and the background.

Dan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2012, 03:20:28 AM »
The reason I asked about the material is that on the photo above it looks like there is some transparent layer between the numbers and the background.

I think it's the lighting Dan. All the tests were done on the same piece of scrap but if the earlier pic was taken inside the workshop it may have been with flash.

Just for ref.    Top right is original M10/M11 : Top centre is B0/B1 : Top left is first revision of M10/M11 : Bottom left is final revision of M10/M11.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »
Tweakie

I hope it is the right place to ask questions about the engraving plugin.  If not could you let me know where is the best place or thread.

I am just starting to try and figure out how to use the engraving plugin on a laser.  As far as I know, I have the latest plugin version and PDF documentation.

The PDF talks about CV, and the pictures of the plugin show a selection box for it.  However my plugin does not have that selection box.

Also it looks like the auto aspect ratio is gone.   Does this sound right?

I have some reading to do.   :)

Greolt

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 30, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »
Hi Greg,

As Art has made the plugin open source I have made a few modifications to it and the latest version can be downloaded from here;  http://tweakie.byethost10.com/Engraving.zip  (just copy paste the dll into the plugins folder).

We all look forward to seeing some pictures (please) of the work you produce with your laser and the plugin.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:04:24 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:42 AM »
Thanks Tweakie

Got the latest version now.  It even looks like the one in the PDF.  ;D

I am not quite at the stage of firing up the laser tube for the first time..........but getting real close. :o

Reading your guide, and trying to get my head around it all.  

Just finished writing a post processor for my Vectric CAM program, to do vector cutting.  Using M10P1 and M11P1

Greolt
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:45:47 AM by Greolt »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »
Hi Greg,

As I think I mentioned in the PDF, the plugin doesn't necessarily work 'straight out of the box', it takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it then I think you will find that the results are extremely hard to beat. I am hoping that one day Art will convert his laser machine to using Mach 3 then he will be able to use his plugin as well  ;D

I would be grateful of a copy of your Vectric PP if it is to be shared.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »

I would be grateful of a copy of your Vectric PP if it is to be shared.

Yeah no problem.   But you better wait until I get a chance to test it.

And besides, I just realised I made a mistake and was fixing it when you posted.  :)

Greolt