Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:32:54 PM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191277 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #430 on: June 20, 2011, 01:46:50 AM »
Returning yet again to the Mach Impact / Laser plugin - I have now managed to add a little more information to the PDF document on it’s use.
If anyone has any suggestions, corrections or information they would like to see added please PM or e-mail me and I will add it to the document.

The revised PDF can be found here;   http://tweakie.byethost10.com/Engraving.zip

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:31:25 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #431 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks Tweak! Your certainly an asset around here.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 22, 2011, 02:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words Sam.

Unfortunately there are only about 5 or 6 of us (that I am aware of) that currently use this plugin with a laser as those before me, who could not get it to work, have now taken other routes.
Our minority Mach group desperately needs new members.

Even Art has purchased a laser machine that uses the HPGL printer link rather than GCode and Mach so I doubt he will ever get to use his own plugin  :'(

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #433 on: June 22, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Hey there Tweakie -

I've actually been using the plugin since completing my own laser a week or so ago - and I have to say, thank you very much for the changes that you made.  They work great.

In general, I've found the plugin to work great.  Took a couple of passes to figure it out, but it's simple, and does the trick. 

My only problem with it is more a problem with my own laser and it's design.  I'm using a pot to control the 0-5 volt signal to my laser power supply, and unfortunately I don't have a display showing me the current voltage that I'm sending, which makes repeating my past successes challenging.  When I get it right though, it's pretty amazing.

The only bummer is, I will also probably end up using a third party control card, such as the RetinaEngrave or something similar.  I would like to combine some vector and raster work into single pieces with varying power levels, and while I can get it working using a couple of different steps in Mach3, it's just not to the level of simplicity and replication that I need in a hobby laser.  Well, the combination of the two, at least.  The actual vector and raster operations individually are a snap.

I will continue to use this plugin for small runs that I have, it works great.  And I like that it doesn't require any other external software.  It's really pretty cool!

Thanks again for keeping this going!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 23, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
Hi naPS,

Thanks for the feedback (there is now 6 or 7 of us using the plugin  ;D ).

If you do decide to go for something like the FSE option please report back on your results (even though it will not be Mach driven).

Of all the laser stuff I have completed so far there has only been one job where I have combined two different power levels http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12444.0;attach=25183;image so I have not really given a power changing option serious thought. Something more to add to my 'to do' list I think and thank you for the suggestions.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline mikee

•  100 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 23, 2011, 03:41:26 AM »
 hey tweakie  
  very impressive
 i have a friend who going to bye  a lazer cnc . he was tellling me about cutting plastic  and if  the gases get on the lens of the lazer .  8) 

mikee

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 23, 2011, 04:40:48 AM »
Hi Mikee,

My lens is made from Zinc Selenide and is AR coated on both sides - cleaning it is a delicate process which I really don't want to have to do very often so I use a 'co-axial, air assist' at all times and I have adjustable pressure / volume settings that I can select for different jobs. Because the lens assembly is always above ambient pressure during use it keeps the smoke out.  ;)
You can see the nozzle and just see the air supply line in this photo http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12444.0;attach=21034;image

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #437 on: June 23, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Hi Tweakie

You think that your new modified pulgin is able to drive my systems?

Andrea

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 23, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
Hi Andrea,

Yes indeed it will Sir and it can be downloaded from here;  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,12444.msg127947.html#msg127947

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline mikee

•  100 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 23, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
 hey tweakie
if it ok with you i was going to tell my friend about you. is going to buy a lazer cnc  his name is owen at one time he was a mill wright. i dont think he will be needing alot of help like me. i lack a formal education. and to make thing worst i was very sick and in a coma for 6 weeks last  OCT-NOV there is a lot of things i cannot remember . this is a struggle to me. and i have no hope of making anything . without ppl like you helping me .  i am most llikely, the least educated person in here.  i just like to say thank you. 
Ps my wife was educated in kent  ok back to work i go
mikee
not much land dam few cattle co