Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:36:10 PM

Author Topic: The Laser Project.  (Read 1191305 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Laser Project.
« Reply #330 on: March 10, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
Not perfect but an interesting exercise nonetheless.
This may have been a little over ambitious, it certainly took a while fitting in all the little parts (which I carefully kept in order) but it did prove to me that the Mach Engraving/Laser plugin and LazyCam can, together, produce reasonably acceptable results.
I have no doubts that it would have been easier and perhaps quicker to use VCP and perhaps the results may have been a little better but I just had to try using the software which already comes with Mach3 at no additional cost.
I think I may have had my fill of inlays.  ;D ;D

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:42:39 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE

Offline Jennifer

•  40 40
  • Doing what i do best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Tweakie,

I love Celtic Knots. You did a very nice job. now shrink the whole thing to about an inch and a half, use abalone shell for the part and you will have an idea of my challenges :P

Jen
Συν ται η επι ται or Ή ταν ή επί τας

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
As long as you make a better job of it than I have done it will be just fine I am sure.
When do you get your Zing, have you got a date yet ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Jennifer

•  40 40
  • Doing what i do best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »
Tweakie,

i went with the Mini 24 in a 60 watt confugiration. it has servo motors rather than steppers, 20w more power, high grade optics with a different lens more geared to vector cutting rather than engraving, a vccume table and air cooing. it cost me a couple bucks more but it will allow me to grow without outgrowing the machine.

delivery will be after i retun from Floriduh, in about three weeks.

Συν ται η επι ται or Ή ταν ή επί τας

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
Fredzway has been kind enough to share his design for a Christmas decoration with me and to prove the toolpath I have removed the tool radius offset and laser cut the parts from 2mm Obechi. Fred tells me the halo is made from a part section of brass tube so allowance has been made for this to be fitted.

Nice one fred, good fortune profile cutting the parts.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2011, 12:47:06 PM »
Another etching, made using the Mach Laser/Impact plugin.
The material is an aluminium surfaced engraving laminate which, fortunately, does not contain any PVC and lasers extremely well.
This is one of my musician buddies, just hope he likes it.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
Wow, that's pretty impressive, Tweakie. I like it.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2011, 03:15:40 AM »
Thanks Sam.

I am going to experiment a bit more with this as the results are unusual or different to the norm.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:51 AM »
At last I think I have finally been able to produce a raster image without any horizontal banding. It is early days yet so I must not be too complacent but I have now made some 5 or 6 of these same images of young Lena (top part of photo only - this is a family forum  ;) ) all different sizes and without any banding at all. Like many problems it appears that there was more than one component to this problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #339 on: March 26, 2011, 12:59:06 PM »
Forgive the ignorance here, but who is lena?   She shure is pretty.... You are doing some AMAZING work with your Luke Skywalker router there man. Very cool stuff... Keep up the good work and pics... peace

Pete