Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:11:28 PM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 176949 times)

Hood

Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
Was through at my friend place today to try and fire up the lathe. First thing was the hydraulic motor was full of water, it was a good job Mark decided to test the windings before it was run as I don't think it would have worked very well. I think the lathe had been stored under cover but obviously the pump unit had been exposed to a bit of weather and with the connector cover being off it the rain filled it up nicely. Anyway after draining and drying the motor ran nicely :)
 All the rest of the lathe motors, controls etc had never been exposed to the weather so we proceeded to wire and connect everything back together. The parameters were all lost so after entering them and a bit of messing around with the control we (or more precisely Mark) got it to jog. Time ran out before we could work out how to get the spindle rotating and the turret indexing so hopefully tomorrow we will manage that.
 One bad bit of news is there are limits and wiring missing to the front toolpost but should manage to work it out as we have all the drawings etc.

All in all a very good day :)

Hood

Hood

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2006, 06:44:26 PM »
Oh forgot to say, the rear turret looks like it will be fairly easy to integrate, the way it works is a lock pin is pulled up by hydraulics, this then hits a limit switch which energises the hydraulic rack which then indexes the turret. There are a number of limit switches which then tell the control which tool the turret is at depending on their state and thus the indexing will continue until the right sequence of limits is hit for the chosen tool.
 The front indexes in the same way, or would if it was all complete.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2006, 06:59:28 PM »
Thats good Hood.    Might want to check all you cables too LOL  (See the update to my thread...

Any idea how you are going to drive those huge servo's or are you able to keep the old drives?

I've got my turret off at the moment to give it a going over.   Almost ready to try the Teknix drives sometime next week too.

Wayne....

Hood

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2006, 07:06:06 PM »
Wayne
 I think I am going to have to go Rutex, a guy whos worked on these machines a lot has told me 100V and 40Amps is what I should aim for so my only choice is Rutex.
 Wires on mine are all flexible, glad we  dont get any indian snake charmers this far north or they might end up like your encoder wire ;)

Hood

Hood

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »
Was back through at the lathe today and we got everything working from the manual control panel.
Below are links to a couple of videos of the Turret and the Tailstock operating. Now that I see how the turret works it will hopefully make things easier to integrate when I start to get Mach3 controling it.
 All in all a very good day :)
Hood

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hoodspages1/TurretIndexing.wmv

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hoodspages1/Tailstock.wmv

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2006, 06:43:11 PM »
Good stuff..   But why you so scared of the tailstock? LOL.....

I'd recommened while you got it working, that you check to see what relays/solenoids etc are being operated and in what sequence when you operate all this stuff.

I had to do it the hard way by trial and error, as I was reluctant to put power on my machine before I ripped the old control out. 

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2006, 02:06:28 AM »
Ha ha that wasnt me at the tailstock, that was my friend Mark, hes a bit of an ugly bas*%$ so was scared if he stayed in shot he might break the camera lens ;)
 I think the electrical drawings may show what relay order is but will check on that, thanks.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2006, 05:53:56 PM »
Shouldnt be too long before I get the lathe now. I got posession of the new unit yesterday and proceeded to knock a hole through from my existing workshop. I have got most of my welding and fabrication gear moved next door and with a bit of tidying I will have enough space to get the lathe in. Hopefully next weekend I will be able to go collect the lathe :)

Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2006, 02:59:20 PM »
Hood

Got your beast installed yet?

No news for me, too busy trying to earn enough to keep the hungry Hardinge moving along!

Hood

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2006, 03:19:06 PM »
No not got it home yet. Planning to go through and pick it up on Saturday but that could all change by then LOL
 If I do get it on Saturday it will have to sit outside until Monday unless I can persuade the guy from the boatyard to come in on Sunday and lift it with the crane, I think he may be due me a favour ;)
 Got a nice ELO 17inch kiosk touch screen off eBay for £185, it was still in the packaging unopened so I was quite happy with that deal :) and it will fit perfectly into the control panel box and still allow room for MPG, Feed override switches etc

Hood