Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:49:43 AM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 176970 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #270 on: March 04, 2012, 04:28:26 AM »
Not just stopping each station, it could only rotate one way so if you were on tool 1 and wanted tool 6 it had to index round to 2 then 3 then 4.....to 6. This one takes the shortest path and goes direct :)
Hood

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 04, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
Very nice, Hood, it just looks so smooth an efficient. Drooling here just watching..........  :D

Awesome work, my friend-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 04, 2012, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks Dave,
happy with it so far, have been milling down my 25mm tooling to fit in and hope to get a few drill/bar holders made in the next few days then I can start getting some of the jobs done that I have lined up..

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 19, 2012, 06:05:29 PM »
Got a few toolblocks made for drills and bars. The Drill holders have through coolant to the U Drills and for the boring bar holders I made up adjustable angle nozzles.
Vid on Youtube of me making a part I do every now and then is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MaX2t2x-GQ&feature=plcp&context=C48454f9VDvjVQa1PpcFPCNRIQiwK4b_A-7kIul7Mia3rOySk_6dQ%3D

Couple of pics of the holders with coolant are below.
 I have altered the cover to allow the  tailstock in properly now but its a bit messy so I will make a new one when time permits.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »
Nice work, Hood. The adjustable nozzles are COOL! Is it just flat bottom bore with an O-ring? And I assume the bolt head holds it from falling out.

Hard to judge sizes and hence speeds on the video - looks like it's too slow on the Delrin? I machine Delrin with chip-break inserts at 0.15-0.2mm/rev.

Oh.. is it your cross slide or your work bench ;)

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:47 AM »
The holes are just drilled 8.5mm through and then where the ball sits is 11.5 for the 12mm ball. The  drill provides a taper like seat for the ball and no 'O' Ring is used. The screw is tightened to hold it in the desired position, so once adjusted the screw is just nipped up tight. Oh and its a countersunk head setscrew which hopefully gives a wee bit more contact are on the ball for securing position.

The feeds in the vid for delrin part are too slow thats for sure, roughing cuts were 0.25 and finishing 0.15 if I recall. The finishing tool is 0.2 rad so dont want to go much faster on that but the roughing I could have doubled at least. The threading also could be done in just a couple or three passes I suppose but I am in no big rush really. The code was written originally for stainless as that was what it was originally made from so threading was about right for it.
On the manual lathe I regulary tak very deep DOC in delrin, usiually 10mm or more per pass but I tend to be more conservative with the CNC, not sure why, probably just because it gets on with things whilst I do other things so there is no real rush.

Ah yes, it was my workbench whilst doing this, its all cleaned up now though and the Conect lathe, Student lathe and Bridgeport mill are now my workbench ;D

Hood
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:03:03 AM by Hood »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
Next project for the lathe is to fit a hydraulic chuck, the lathe originally had one but it was closed centre so no use to me. I picked up a nice 250mm dia Gamet chuck a few years ago for £50, it was like new. I have been waiting for a hollow centre hydraulic cylinder to come along at the right price and on Sunday I got a brand new MMK one for £100 :-)
 I also plan to make a part catcher, at the moment I just have some stainless mesh fitted between the ways but obviously it catches all the swarf as well as the part so its not ideal, it will be simple enough to just make up a catcher underneath the  bed which moves out with hydraulic cylinder just prior to the part being fully parted off.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #277 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »
Thanks for the details, Hood. So the screw actually tightens the ball against the taper and so an O-ring is not needed. Slick.

0.25mm/rev doesn't sound that slow :)

I'll have to consider that... must be lathes serve as very good work benches :D

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:07 AM »
0.25 to 0.35 is what I normally use for roughing cuts, in stainless I tend to stick to the 0.25, depends on the dia of material and tip rad really. I have plenty of power in both spindle and axis so I could probably take a larger DOC most of the time but as said why bother as I am not doing production so time is not really a problem, in fact its sometimes the reverse as if the parts are made too quick it just means I have to leave what I am doing to reload. Most of my work is one offs and only occasionally I do short runs but even then 10 parts would be a high number ;D.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:22 PM »
Got the chucking cylinder mounted today. Had the original coupling that fits on to the back of the spindle but had to make an adapter to fit between that and the cylinder. I got a piece of 210mm dia x 40mm thick EN8 from my friend and got that machined last weekend. I have the cylider piped up and its working fine when I toggle the relays manually. I got a B210 Kitigawa chuck from eBay last week so once that arrives I can make an adapter to get that fitted to the spindle then I can get some seamless tube to make up the drawtube.
The lathe only has 72mm up the spindle and the thread in the chuck and also cylinder are 85mm so I will have to make up screwed adapters for either end as well.
 I also have to alter the ladder in the PLC but that wont take long so the hold up now is waiting for the chuck and getting the drawtube made, hopefully it will all be running fine in a couple of weeks.

Pic is a bit crap I am afraid as I forgot the camera so had to use the phone.
Hood