Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:57:58 AM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 176960 times)

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2012, 08:00:38 AM »
Yes, good indeed, Hood :)

The clamping and unclamping is so quiet and smooth you can hardly believe it's so powerful.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
The Hydraulic pipes are just 6mm copper, so low volume and thus  the clamp/unclamp is not as severe as it would be with more volume.

Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2012, 03:16:47 PM »
Good job Hood. Indexes quicker than what I anticipated.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2012, 04:44:16 PM »
I have it indexing at the same rate as the front turret did, I could go a lot faster if I wanted but no point in putting undue stress when it wont make that much difference. The setting in the drive is 1000rpm and accel/decel of 100 rps/s The motor itself is capable of 5000rpm and I could probably go well into the thousands on accel/decel.
 Just finished redoing the ladder, quite a bit of work so hopefully I got it right ;D
Good thing is if its not then can easily reload the previous one and rework this one although if it is wrong its likely just a small oversight and could edit in place.
 Still have the macro to change but that shouldnt take long so hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to load the ladder, load the new macro and connect the extra wire and have it indexing to all 12 slots instead of just the 6.
Hood

Offline GMB

•  9 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:42 PM »
I watched the vid on UTube.  Very nice Hood.  I also checked out you testing the Z axis on the Bridgeport vid.  Very sweet.  Which model Bridgeport do you have?  It has a hinged cover casting like mine.  When I first got the mill and opened the cover there were 5 mice living inside.  A good vacuum cleaner made it right in no time.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 28, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »
Ha ha, poor wee mice.
Mine was originally a Boss 6.1 which is the UK version of a Boss 6.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2012, 01:38:37 PM »
Finally got enough done to run the lathe, the cover is rough and I will have to make a better one before I can use the tailstock. I very rarely use that however so priority is to get the drill/boring bar holders made so I can do internal work. Happy with it so far, here is a quick vid of it making a small brass BSP fitting, dont have the parting tool mounted yet and also forgot to switch on the coolant right at the start. The solenoid valve seems to be sticking or maybe some muck caught in it as when the coolant pump is on the coolant flows at a low rate, it should only flow when the solenoid is opened.
Anyway heres the first part made with my home made turret :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAfyQE5125M&list=UUNEcFI4fdD5kV938uchW3sg&index=1&feature=plcp
Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
Good job Hood. That lathe sure is quiet, compared to some I've ran. What type of coolant you use? Looks like some oil based similar to what I have used in the past. Was great stuff, until you need to change it out. Being so close to the waters edge, I don't suppose you have much of a problem getting rid of it. :D  :D Have you tried the vegetable based oil? Thought about getting a gallon just to try it out.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
Lathe is about 1985 vintage but came out a University and had done very little so was like new.
Yes its just an oil based soluble oil I use, never change it, no need as it never goes rancid with the nice climate we have :) Top up is all thats needed.
Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2012, 04:07:24 AM »
Very well done, Hood! It's so much better than the original turret you had, which was stopping each station on its way.

Dan