Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:07:23 AM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 176957 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »
Hey Wayne,
     Mine is very much like Hoods. The keys are about .190 tall and the base is about .090 giving a total of .280. Hope this helps. Mine is silicone as well.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Hood

« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »
Hi Wayne
 not sure but its not that much, maybe total of 12mm thick for the whole keyboard, can measure tomorrow for you. Wish I had seen this earlier as I am just home from the workshop.
 Hood

oops sorry Brett, never noticed your post.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2007, 12:20:50 PM »
What I was thinking was if the keys are high enough and have quite short travel it might be possible to create a thin bezel with holes cut out for the keys to make it into a rigid keyboard.

I'll find out when the two I have ordered arrive.

Just trying to get everything in for the onslaught on the Hardinge in May.

Wayne....

Hood

« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
I think that would work OK Wayne.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2007, 07:01:02 PM »
I got in two of those keyboards from the keyboard company. £19 ea.

Kind of like typing on a Sinclair Spectrum LOL..   I ordered the alloy plate to have a go at making a rigid enclosure.

I think I'll do some surgery on the keyboard to move that bulge where the circuit board is to the back, there seems to be enough tail lenth on the membrane to fold it back.

The key layout is ever so slightly different to yours.   One thing I noticed is mine has no pg up or pg down keys.

There is also a cheap numerical usb keypad in the Maplin shops at the moment I may get one of those and doctor that too.

Where did you locate the little touchpad you have on your control?   Is it an off the shelf part or ripped out an old laptop?

Wayne....

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2007, 07:15:26 PM »
Hey Wayne,
    Hoods touch pad is out of a keyboard. He sent me the link the other day. You can get them as a single unit though. Before you make your over lay, push on one of the keys and see if the side of the key swells.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1919&Nav=|c:143|&Sort=3&Recs=10

Brett

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 26, 2007, 07:33:03 PM »
The side of the key does not swell, but they have a thinner section at the base of the key which is designed to.   I shall machine some relief in the case to allow for that.

I shall probably machine a test piece in MDF 1st to make sure I got the key spacing correct and that it in fact will work!

Wayne....

Hood

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2007, 11:41:59 AM »
heres the link to the keyboard I got the touchpanel out of. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=129054
Hood

Hood

« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »
Got some AC Servos and drives from eBay (see below) and have managed to get them figured out. I am going to use the top board from the CNC Teknix drives (That I blew up :(  )to act as step/dir to analogue converters as the drives I have are analogue. I have tested the Tek 10s by hooking an encoder to them and verifying that if I turn the encoder they send out an analogue voltage so all I now need is time to hook it all together. Time is scarce at the moment but I should be finished the big jigsaw puzzle I have been welding up (see pic) and hopefully I will get a few days before the next big job comes around, might even get it finished this year LOL.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2007, 08:23:49 PM »
Hey Hood,
    So, you have been working. The ferry is looking good. I'm glad you got the motors figured out. Whenever you get the lathe running, I'm sure it will be nice.

Brett