Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:34:31 AM

Author Topic: Just got a lathe to retrofit  (Read 176977 times)

Re: Just got a lathe to retrofit
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2007, 03:59:17 AM »
Couple of bits of advice before you power up.
Leave the $2 you owe me with Dorothy.
Tell her I`ve to get the indexer and the qc tooling.
I won`t mention the floating head as I already have it.
In return I will help her get $200/ton for the Colchesters and Bridgeport.
 ;D ;D
Mark.

P.S.Also when you get to the shop keep the doors closed so you don`t get any distractions but mainly so no one can nick the tooling before I get there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:08:39 AM by Gridley51 »

Hood

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2007, 04:09:18 AM »
Get on with your work you lazy ba%^$£d
Either that or get up here and give me a hand.
Hood
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2007, 04:19:31 AM »
I`ve been here since before 7am.You know I would come up and help you but I`m too busy trying to get work out the door,additionally I`m allergic to sudden bangs and electric shocks.Just put my bits in a nice tidy heap with a label saying property of EMS before you start.Cover them with the old jacket so they don`t get sprayed with molten metal.
Mark.

Hood

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2007, 04:24:26 AM »
yep, your usual too busy talk, actually means you are spending half the day on the internet and the rest on the phone with a copious amount of tea guzzling and piece munching added :)
Well really I was hoping you would be here to help or should I say stand in between the cabinet and myself, that way I would be protected from any blast.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2007, 06:28:55 AM »
You guys are a mess individually. When you two get together, I bet that is one big mess.  ;D

Good luck Hood  ;)

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2007, 12:00:53 PM »
Hood..   Is that you causing my workshop lights to dim down here in Dorset?

How you getting along anyway?

Wayne....

Hood

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »
Things didnt quite go to plan, hooked up the mains and switched on, heard the big transformer buzz for a split second then nothing. Had a look and the fuses had popped and I didnt have any more to try. Must be somthing up with it in any case as previously I had it connected but through a circuit breaker and it didnt trip and it was 16Amp, same as the fuses that blew, so over the next few days I will have to do some investigating :(
 I was however able to power up the hydraulics, spindle etc and was able to test everything out. The front toolpost isnt hooked up to the hydraulics or limits yet so couldnt test it but I was able to index the rear turret and it worked perfectly, told it to go to a tool and it would :)
 Also was able to power up the spindle and go through the 8 gears in both low range and high range but I did have a problem with the macropump. I have the macropump looking at the true spindle speed and if  10% less than the commanded speed it will fault out, only problem is it was faulting out even when the the speed was over the commanded speed so looks like the macropump will have to be modified.
 Overall it was a good day but I was hoping to be able to try out the Teknix drives and the axis motors but until I get the transformer problem sorted it cant be done.

Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2007, 02:40:39 PM »
Hood.   The fuses popping may just be the inrush current on the transformer. Well in fact it's almost certainly that.   

Sometimes they will trip sometimes they won't, it all depends on where the AC cycle is on power up.

You can get iinrush current limiters.  These create a resistance in serses with your supply to limit current, but warm up and change to low resistance.

Wayne.....

Hood

« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »
I thought it could be inrush but when it didnt trip a circuit breaker previously I thought there must be a fault as I would have expected fuses to be more robust than the breaker. Will look into getting some inrush current limiters, is that what they are called? have had a look on RS and so far only see PCB mounting ones of max 5 Amp.

Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »
Hood.

Maplin do a 18amp one for a couple of quid.    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/N96BT.pdf

The 18Amps is steady state current so you might be oK.    The inrush current can be many times this though.

I've seen this blow huge bridge rectifiers, so it's not a small problem.

Wayne....