Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 05:32:25 PM

Author Topic: How to load file without using explorer.  (Read 5354 times)

How to load file without using explorer.
« on: June 30, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »
As title says, again need to load a file without using explorer, which requires too many tab button pressings.

Is there an alternative way to create a file list from the hard drive and select a file from the list for mach to load?
Re: How to load file without using explorer.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:26 AM »
You would have to write a script to read the filenames and display them in a dialog box. This would be a fairly advanced script using dialog functions available in the scripting.

In short, it can be done, but only if you're willing to work at writing it. I can help you along if you want to try and write it, but it's too much for me to write at this point, I just don't have time to wade through the configuring of the dialogs and figuring out the logic required to move through the directories. Displaying just a single, pre-determined directory would be much easier than a complete explorer replacement, but again it will take some effort to put it together.

In short, this is very achievable, just waiting to be written!

Let me know if you want some help.

Chris
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:14:40 AM »
Hi,

Thank you, I've thought about your solution, it should work but is a bit of coding.
I've hired someone to try and hack the windows box... I don't know if it will be possible, if not then I will ask the developer to look into using the screen to do it instead...

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »
What about writing one in Visual Basic (ie 6.0 or .net)? There's probably even open source code you can use that's already complete. Simply link to the dll in a vb script and load the file it returns. Should be fairly quick and you can change it's behaviour at will.

Just an idea.

Chris
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:31:37 AM »
Okay I see what you mean Chris, I didn't even think of that(not a software programmer), thanks, yes that will work great with so much less effort!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:55:11 AM »
No problem at all. Have fun with it! It's amazing how a little bit of code can make life so much easier.

Chris
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
Okay done with the file manager and g editor, now to enable to manager to pass a file to mach. How would I go about explaining to the developer to "mark" the file in the file manager that then gets sent to mach?