Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:24:53 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 cutting undersized  (Read 3916 times)

Mach 3 cutting undersized
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:39:02 AM »
Hello All

I have only recently started using mach 3 and seem to be having a slight problem, I cut some parts from mdf for a project only to find that the milled holes and square pockets were all undersized by 1/2mm but the hole spacing between centres seems correct.

I generated the code using sheetcam and having looked at the files the dimensions seem fine and have noticed that G40 is included which should cancel any cutter compensation.

All the tools in tool table are zero however in tool zero position next to ref tool in the grey parts of the table there are numbers in all fields which are very long since I cannot see the entire number despite stretching the box, could this be causing a problem since I do not seem to be able to make them read zero?

If anyone can help I would very gratefull.

Thanks

Steve
Re: Mach 3 cutting undersized
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:20:09 PM »
Sounds like your tool may not be exactly to size- are you using a re-sharpened end mill?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:13:24 AM »
I was using two, an 8mm & 3mm end mill, niether have been sharpened and I have checked with a micrometer and they are the correct size.
I am possibly going to do a re-install of the os and mach3 over the weekend to see if the problem lies there.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:24:32 AM »
Use a pocket wizard to see if it still cuts undersize as a test.
 Also if you could try an outside circle and see if that is bigger.
Hood