Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:50:44 AM

Author Topic: ATC/ Rapid changer by Hightechsystems?????????????  (Read 9469 times)

ATC/ Rapid changer by Hightechsystems?????????????
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »
Is any one useing the rapid changer from Hightechsystems? They have a vid for using it as an ATC and I was wondering how it works and how you set up mach to handle a tool change like that.
http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/rapid_changer.html

Thanks for any help,
Nick
Re: ATC/ Rapid changer by Hightechsystems?????????????
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
Is any one useing the rapid changer from Hightechsystems? They have a vid for using it as an ATC and I was wondering how it works and how you set up mach to handle a tool change like that.
http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/rapid_changer.html

Thanks for any help,
Nick

The basic mechanism is very similar to the quick-release on an air hose - you push up on the spring-loaded red collar, and several ball bearings are then free to move away from the "pull stud" at the top of the tool holder, allowing the toolholder to come out of the spindle.  It would be very possible to make that work with Mach3, with some custom M6 macros.  It's a pretty pricey system, though.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:33 PM »
Fred Smith of IMService has shown one  of them running at the last Cabin Fever and NAMES shows. He was running a program that just kept changing tools, but it seemed to work OK. I think it is his unit shown on the videos links of link posted.

The holder is a simple plastic finger, you program the tool to slide into it, then lift the z. The finger grabs the bottom of the holder.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:03:57 PM »
Fred Smith of IMService has shown one  of them running at the last Cabin Fever and NAMES shows. He was running a program that just kept changing tools, but it seemed to work OK. I think it is his unit shown on the videos links of link posted.

The holder is a simple plastic finger, you program the tool to slide into it, then lift the z. The finger grabs the bottom of the holder.

A finger that starts thin, and ends up thick, so it lifts the red release collar as the spindle slides into the holder.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »
hre's a little info from CNCZone. 
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=227779&postcount=5
It's just a page, but you dele into the thread formore info.   This changer used to be on the "Hightechsystem's site as a demo..but i think IMS got the actual production.. I might be wrong.   But anyhow, I have several collets for that quick change system....BEFORE they skyrocketed in price.   I still have plans to turn my own collets for the receiver.   
   If I find all the data I saved(somewhere) on the design specs of the tool rack and macro scripting for getting the tool to move into the slots, i will post them...but I have no idea what hard drive it is located on....and I have many small hard drives that aren't indexed(or installed) so locating the info isn't easy.....

Here's a WMV of the changer in action....I think....
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27023&d=1165717839

another quick linkto a page with closups of rack:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=228926&postcount=37

and here are the files with dimensions:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=228938&postcount=41

oh hell....just keep reading that thread and the macros are in there too.....:)

hope this helps....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:00:11 PM by Bloy »

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:18:12 PM »
here's a more lengthy WMV of the changer in action:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Do you think $350.00 is expensive for this system? I thought is was cheap compared to the $13,000.00 the company I bought my router from wants! I was hoping to make my router more efficient. :-\

Thanks,
Nick
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:03:18 PM »
here's a more lengthy WMV of the changer in action:

Hey bloy,

Can you tell me what speed your running your router at I was looking at this system but when I sent them an email Fred no more then 10k RPM do you have any issues with it running at high speeds I have a spindle capable of doing 24k and would love to have an ATC set up.

Thanks Willy

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 03:27:32 AM »
Hi Willy,
  I know I looked like I was on-line, but I nodded off here....
      My router uses a Makita variable speed, but I run it on the lower end (8K to 10K rpms) when using the "quick change" tool.  I wouldn't go more than is recommended when using this tool holder system.
In my case, I have to use the 1/2" chuck adapter and put it into the makita's chuck which makes the quick-change protrude a bit much and increases vibration, although I have been able to seat it well and run it quite smoothly.   
Makita uses a proprietary thread on its spindle so i got an extra chuck and plan to turn/thread the outside to fit the quick-change thread directly which would shorten the tool extension considerably....then I was going to do tests to find out just how much (within reason) I could increase the rpms. 
  I don't think this system will be safe at your desired 24K rpm.    BUT, I would contact HighTechSystems and see if they have developed  their system further to work reliably at higher speeds.

the problem, I believe, is that the spring loaded tool collet holder tends to release from centrifugal forces above 10K....When I got mine, they had just upgraded the spring to allow the 10k rpm .  Before that the tool could only safely reach 8k (I think).  Who knows for sure?.... Maybe HighTech is being very conservative to avoid flying destructive/injurious sharp metal parts. :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 03:38:58 AM by Bloy »
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:15 PM »
Hi all..
   I have a set of the tool holders - the new style with the collet. Also made six more plain ones from 4130,  These are bored for 3/8 and 1/2 tools.  The colleted ones can take care of smaller items.  The 10k speed limit is real as I found out by absent mindedly cranking the router wide open. The spring unwinds and makes a terrible racket as it is flailing around.  I cured this problem by replacing the wire spring with a series of flat springs stacked together.  The ones I used are commonly used in electric motors to preload the back bearing.  I stacked these, interspaced with flat washers, to make the required height.  No more speed limitation.  I removed the armature from the router and then removed the original collet and replaced it with a blank.  After that, I put the armature in the lathe with a steady rest on the bearing and proceded to cut threads on the blank for a nice fit with the tool changer.  This gives me a nice short setup with no measurable runout. 
     Larry..