Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:51:41 AM

Author Topic: Any one used xylotex boards to upgrade an EMCO lathe?  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Any one used xylotex boards to upgrade an EMCO lathe?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 11:26:15 AM »
The stepper motors, stepper drives, and power supply need to be chosen to work together. Gecko's stepper motor guide (linked to above) is a good read, and will help you understand how to choose the parts. In short you need to start with choosing the steppers to match the job at hand ( 'bigger', more oz-in, are not always better). When you know the motors inductance you can use Geckos rule-of-thumb formula to calculate the supply voltage. Keep in mind that this calculation just gets you in the right ballpark for getting the most out of your motors. Now you'll know what current voltage range of stepper driver to look for.

I've used the Xylotex driver in the past and they work well. When the Gecko G540 came out I was blown away though. The built in optical isolation makes it a lot easier to folks to wire things up and eliminates the need for a separate break-out-board. It also has charge pump integration built right in , oh and a 0-10V output for the spindle. (So it is easier to use and less expensive too!) Here is what one looks like: http://soigeneris.com/products3.aspx, I have been redoing these pages and will get the manuals on there soon.

What I would do is look at the factory steppers and do some googling to find out their specs. Chances are that the engineers spent a lot of time matching those motors to the machine. It will give you a good place to start looking.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Ron, I think your motors where just rated too high a voltage. I think if you had 2V motors, you would have gotten acceptable performance.

I bought the xylotex kit, with their motors, board and power supply. When I found them to slow I replace the board with geckos and raised the power supply voltage to about 48v. That worked well.

The simple fact is that voltage equates to speed with steppers, and the Xylotex board with its 24v useful limit is just slow. With the Gecko 251s available (they were not when I started the project) I see no reason to ever buy a Xylotex board.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »
Well Jack,
You asked a simple question and off we go to help you or give you more than a simple answer.
I don't like to comment on someones remarks, but, Jeff's reply is very important, also
and i would like to expand on his reply in a different way.

Let's do some design for a machine at a very high level. The motor is sized such that it will move the machines axis with enough power and at some desirable speed along with enough torque. This is true for each of the machines axis's and could be different. The power supply will need to provide the voltage and current to all of the motor drives. Motors can be wired differently to change their operation and thus their voltage and current
requirements will change. Now for each sentence above there are books upon books written.

So lets  really confuse the issue of the controller box which usualy contains the power supply, drives, maybe some other boards. You can design something so that it only works within a small range of operation or you can expand the range of operation and allow for some unknown future wants or needs. Also you can be conservative in the design of the components. Cost is also something to consider and could be a deciding factor.

From a cost point of view consider the following:
- Dedicated contoller to one machine to just to get it cnc'd and fool around with to gain experience $=?
- A contoller to use for multiple machines some requiring a better power supply $=?

I would recommend the following for your consideration:
1. Make the box  large enough so you can add additional drives allowing room for easy routing of the wires, access, room for other boards etc.
2. Consider a power supply / supplies , or maybe one now and addition of another such that it would take care of future needs.  I have have 30 amp power supply at 36 volts, so it can take care of 4 dives easy and that allows me to address about anything at a hobby level i should need.

I just don't want you to spend money and be sorry later on. So think about it.  

RICH

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »
Chances are that the engineers spent a lot of time matching those motors to the machine.

Jeff,

You are not familiar with this particular Emco lathe :) Saying that the engineers spent time on constructing this machine is over complementing them. Actually, for this machine, over complementing would be even saying that "engineers designed it" :D The mechanical design of this machine is so awful that it makes me wonder whether it was a dumb engineer who designed it or a warehouseman.

However, about the stepper motors in particular you might be right about this machine. They seemed to be critically suited for the job, though I didn't work much with the original setup. The factory steppers on the Compact 5 CNC were 60 Oz-in, but I think (although, as I said, they may be just powerful enough) that twice that would be more appropriate for this machine.

Just my thought.

Daniel

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »

The simple fact is that voltage equates to speed with steppers, and the Xylotex board with its 24v useful limit is just slow. With the Gecko 251s available (they were not when I started the project) I see no reason to ever buy a Xylotex board.

Ron,

Didn't realize the Xylotex was only 24V. Thought it had an upper limit of 35V. 24V sounds really low indeed.

Daniel
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 02:38:22 PM by yosefi83 »
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks for all of the replys. I am a shop teacher at a high school and we have quite a few cnc spectra light machines that we use. I want to upgrade the Emco because it can do longer stock. So from the replys I am getting I may be able to buy a Gecko G540 and use the motors that are on the lathe currently. Maybe just up my power supply. I am mainly interested in using an program like Mach 3 instead of the current welsoft program. When I bought the lathe it was run from a Mac. The Welsoft program up grades it to a pc and uses a 9 volt power supply.

Thanks.

jack

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
Hi, Jack

Hears an article I found on the web, Should make the conversion easier for you.

Chip

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Hi Jack,

I don't think you'll be able to drive the stock motors with the G540. As far as I remember, the G540 is only 50V. Not enough for the factory motors (if they are 9V indeed, like mine were).

Daniel