Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:12:34 PM

Author Topic: Help ! From Incremental Jog to a runaway !  (Read 10167 times)

Help ! From Incremental Jog to a runaway !
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
Hello,  I am using mach r3.043, SS beta 2 v.015 ogb, & FTDI d2xx 2.04.05 : What I've experienced is most distressing. I have numerous times been in incremental mode to touch off a tool, and turn to zero, or modify a readout, then tap another increment and the machine slowly starts to jog off in a direction. Sometimes with just one drive "z" and a few times it is "all" drives ! This is quite distressing and now I am reluctant to trust the system. I have slowed down my servo velocities and it seems to maybe help, but it is not a cure. I can't find any settings that help. I thought it might be the version of Mach I'm running.
I also experience occasional times when homing machine that a limit switch holds after homing is complete, but not always. easily cured but thought this might be related. I would really like to know what to try to fix these items.
While I'm here I also have the coolant coming on when I do a prg. simulation run or dry run. Before, this never happened, but now it is constant that the M8 & M9 trip, I'm surprised that the spindle does not !
These are the only real issues I've experienced worth reporting ! Otherwise I am very happy with the SS unit and operation. I have run several programs and can say that everything was quite smooth indeed when the code is good ! I have however had some issue when I suspect code problem and tab the "STOP" key and never know what to expect. Once, the machine did as it is supposed to and traveled to safe "Z" and some other times it just coasted down in "Z" where I didn't want it to go.
I have no way of knowing if this is something I can change with settings or what ?
I will attach my SS.XML as well in hopes of a remedy.
Thanks
Don
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Help ! From Incremental Jog to a runaway !
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:09:19 AM »
There were similar problem to this a while ago if you try to jog while the machine is still processing G-code. Mach and the SS would get out of sync. Greg has added some additional checks to prevent that though. I would suggest using the current lock-down version of Mach: Mach3 R3.042.026. The development version may have some bugs. Also when the machine runs away does mach lock up. Do you have to reboot the computer to get it going again?

Then you might want to take a look at how noisy your system is. Do you have optical isolation between the SS and the rest of the machine? This is absolutely essential. Do you have a lot of 5V loads driven by the SS? If so you may need to add an external 5V supply for the SS (and move the jumper on the SS to reflect this.)

Hope that helps.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
Thanks for reply, the jog issue is not from too rapid of input, it is more apt to be related with direction change especially after making an adjustment such as DRO zero or dim input, then tap jog and it goes berzerkers. When the event happens i can tap stop or reset to clear the issue and continue without booting. I think I'll change mach version today.
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:21:39 PM »
I see from your XML that your using a shuttle as a jog pendant? If so, try removing it and rename the plug-in with a different extension. Use only the keyboard jog buttons and see what happens.

I don't see a problem with your flood coolant output. You can test it by disabling the Flood/Mist outputs in Ports&Pins->Spindle Setup. If it quits coming on then you have something in your G-Code turning it on.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:06 PM »
Jeff
The only shuttle that I use is the "TAB" entered shuttle simulater provided with MACH ! The "M" codes should be ignored in "Dry Run" as is "M03" spindle, the coolant should not come on and did not come on before the SS system install. There is an ignore M code checked somewhere, but I don't recall where it is. I haven't been able to change back to Release version of mach yet, but I will today.
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
When I load your XML it gives me an error about not finding a 'Shuttle' which is an external pendant type device. I would have thought that I would get an error about the SS not being found (don't have one on this PC) but perhaps Mach is getting confused? I'll load it up later when I have a SS handy.

The SS does not work exactly as the LPT does in a dry run. I think it is one of the things that Greg has been looking in to.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »
That Shuttle add-on has been turned off umpteen times and keeps turning itself back on ! I finally gave up trying, altho when I reloaded the stable Mach a little while ago I did it again and maybe it is off now. I don't have an external shuttle so have no use for it ! I haven't tested the system to see if this version of mach fixes anything or not.
Don
CRUISER
  Don

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »
You'll have to remove the shuttle plug-in from the plug-ins folder.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »
Do you think the unused plugin could be causing the issues I've been experiencing ? I will delete it out as well and see if it makes any differance.
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
I changed the Mach back to the release version and deleeted the unused shuttle plug-in and with the short time i tested it all seems good, I'll be running some parts this morning so I'll know more Later on. I certainly hope that this is all that was interfering with it. All in All I am very happy with the performance of the SS, Just gotta have all the little ducks in a row I guess.
CRUISER
  Don