Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:44:55 AM

Author Topic: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S  (Read 111459 times)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2008, 05:33:58 PM »
I'm a purist and glutton for punishment it seems!    Besides don't think the band would "wear it" dum dum!!

Whats this mill you are doing? That old croaking BOSS I saw on youtube?    Where's the link to it?  Is it here somewhere?

Soon as I got something to show I'll put some Hardinge Machine erotica on Youtube with an appropriate Devo soundtrack!

Wayne....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2008, 06:20:08 PM »
I'm a purist and glutton for punishment it seems!    Besides don't think the band would "wear it" dum dum!!

Oh man now that was bad ::)

Whats this mill you are doing? That old croaking BOSS I saw on youtube?    Where's the link to it?  Is it here somewhere?

Its a Beaver NC5, the BOSS made a manual Bridgeport look small, the Beaver makes the BOSS look tiny LOL.  Dont have anything online yet and stupidly I didnt take any pics of it when I got it.
It came with DC Servos but the drives whistled so bad it did my head in, seems its normal for the drives and some people hear it others dont, I did and they had to go LOL.
   I have AC Servos on all axis now, have a Big AC Servo for the spindle,  planning on making a toolchanger for it in the future. Also thinking of putting a servo on the Knee instead of the  induction motor it has now, hopefully then I will be able to set the knee up to do tool offsets but again thats way in the future.

Soon as I got something to show I'll put some Hardinge Machine erotica on Youtube with an appropriate Devo soundtrack!

Wayne....

Look forward to that, well seeing the vid anyway nt so sure about the soundtrack :D
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
Were the old drives PWM or SCR?

Yep some of those switching frequencies can be bad for some, and ok for others.

Interestingly you reminded me about this site which I must test on my daughter tomorrow, it's amazingly accurate so far.   Though there are higher frequencies I can still here with gaps in between.

http://www.freemosquitoringtones.org/

Wayne.....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
They were Contraves NC700 drives, I think PWM.

Ha ha well its weird that site, on the ringtones page I can only hear to 16KHz but on the hearing test page I can hear the 18KHz with ease. 
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »
More work done today.    Wired up spindle encoder, Make up new encoder cables for the axis.

The cabinet is looking rather busy again these days.  Though I think I've made a neat job of it.   Have to fit a panel to the door of the contro cab so i can mount yet mroe DIN rail.

Thought about fitting the new seal kit to the turret but had more important work to do.  I'll do that when I have cleared a few jobs this week.

Wayne.....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2008, 06:53:51 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it running.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
Not as much as I am ;)     It's got beyond the ridiculous!     

I do remember quite a clearly a friend seeing it all in pieces and saying "you'll never get that going again"   I can almost see the lump forming  in this throat at the moment  :P

Wayne....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »
Well here's a little picture of in progress work this week, just tidying up a lot of the wiring.

Loads more to do, but it's mostly all worked out and tested.  I just have to rewire as I want it to stay.

Transformer is 45v 1kVA giving 64v DC for the servos, The two contactors to the right of it turn it on via a soft start resistor (Seen top of pic).  Timer relay(Far right)  operates the righthand contactor to short out the resistor.

Larger contactor below supplies power to the spindle drive.   Circuit breakers to its left.

Grey wire running through all contactors is part of the Estop chain.   Blue wire hanging around in there, is the temporary enable Neutral going to all the contactors coils for testing.   The circuit is designed with all coil Lives coming straight from the same supply as the load through a breaker.  If any load trips it's own breaker ALL contactors drop out, also putting machine into Estop.

Wayne....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2008, 02:52:25 AM »
Looking good Wayne, just curious what size the servos are>
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2008, 01:18:26 PM »
Hood.

The servo's are not that big.   300W just about the same size as the orignals.   Only these are higher speed rated, and I have also changed pulley ratio from 1.85:1 to 2.5:1.

Not much done today, except real work, and sweeping up all the cut cable ties and bits of wire!   Though I just been getting familiar with modbus again, never wrote all my settings down last year!

Wayne....