Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 07:28:03 AM

Author Topic: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S  (Read 111479 times)

Amnz

Re: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:39 AM »

Here is a link to some misc pics:

http://www.sternbachmachine.com/misc%20pics.htm

Mark

Hi Mark,
 Is that a 48 chev fleetmaster?  ..was my first car....after spending a summer fixing it up.  Does yours have the latched bumber guard that lowers so the trunk door can swing up?
   I don't want to get TOO OT here, but that car was fun!  in the early slippery winter a student driver misjudged the conditions and lightly bumped me from the rear.  the "latch bumber" dropped down and appeared to be damaged.   Well the student driver was so shookup (not to mention an apologetic father) for a while as we all stood there near the intersection under a light snow.  I just had to let them hang for a moment or two.....That is, Until I said (as I lifted the hinged bumper post back into position)  " oh I think it'll be alright,.. I'll forget the whole thing"!   Those were the days!

John (bloy)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:09:19 AM by Amnz »
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »
Hey John!

Good eye my friend! And great story!

Indeed, she is a 48 FleetMaster. My grandfather bought her new. Funny story (not wanting to go off topic either) My wife and I were at a show in Rhinebeck, NY quite a few years ago. We sat beside the car watching these two elderly gentlemen from a distance, poking each other in the chest, pointing at the car, hands thrown in the air, lots of mouthing. Finally they stormed over and asked "Is this a 48 or a 49??". I said it's a 48. One guy says to other "See??" and he points to the grill and says "you're missing the chrome tee there!!" I laughed and explained: I had removed it because it was rusted so bad and detracted from the looks of the surrounding (perfect condition) stainless steel trim. That's what I enjoyed most about the show circuit, talking to the "old guys" (of which I'm a member now at 49 lol) Everybody had one and has more than one story about it. I grew tired of showing because people don't want to see an original car anymore, they want to see a $10K paint job and a $15K interior restoration. This thing is all original with only it's 2nd set of tires (original spare in trunk) (excuding brakes and tune up parts). btw, 69K original miles. The 68 Camaro in the pics I've had since High School (30 years). Was orignally a 327. Blew that up and wanted to build "something different" and big blocks were a dime a dozen back then. It's a 396/375 HP. Oh, and btw, again, my rear bumper guard is not hinged and rubs (slightly!) on the trunk lid when opening/closing.

Thanks for the opportunity to brag a little :)

Mark
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2007, 11:54:11 AM »

Finally got a look at your video. It's a "thing of beauty and a joy forever" when things work properly.

If I may ask, where would I start, to learn about retro fitting mine? I am convinced that Mach is the way to go software-wise, but the hardware is confusing.

Mark.

Well that video was me manually operating the turret with the valves.  I never powered the machine with the original control, as It had been physically damaged before I got the machine.

The sequence the valves are operated in is critical for a correct index.

Retrofiiting is not really very difficult, and there's lots of help available in the Mach Scene.  I'm fairly lucky in that I have been retrofitting machines from a time long before Art started Mach etc.

It does help to run the machine on the original control, which in your case is easy.   I've had to do a few totally blind with no data or anything, and they were certainly a headache to say the least.

Retrofitting with something like mach actually usually makes the machine much simpler than the original machine.  As an example on the Hardinge I was able to completely remove the Wardrobe sized cabinet with double doors which housed the original electronics.  Now I have a tiny enclosure.  It helps that the newer drives etc are a lot smaller.

It need not cost too much either.  I don't do things by halves as a rule, and have less than $3000 investedin the Leadwell VMC, it's already paid that back a few times.  The Hardinge has cost more than I'd have wished, mainly due to it needing new servo motors and belt/pullies, I also chose to change the DC spindle drive for a new Siemens AC motor and Drive.   But I'd reckon it will be paid back within the 1st month or so of use.

I know it's a scary thought, but you can do it with some common sense and good advice.

Wayne.....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Argh  Cars!

I'm more interested in the Willy's LOL

I've got a 1952 Austin Champ ever seen one Mark?   Very complex military vehicle.  You can see it here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fdosdesign/champ.htm

Wayne....

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2007, 12:17:23 PM »
LOL Bravo Wayne!

Love the hood ornament on the Champ! Excellent documentation on the restoration, too. Great reading. I brought a '63 Chevy P/U back from the dead much like that. The Willy's, my late Dad bought about 15 years ago for $200 (and was actually built by Ford). I found it in a friend's apple orchard with trees growing out of it. He restored it to full military. I dirve it occaisionally to keep what happened to your Champ from happening to it.

I'm going to start my own thread regarding my HXL retro fit as I am going too far off topic on everybody else's threads :)

Mark
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2007, 04:47:24 PM »
LOL Bravo Wayne!

Love the hood ornament on the Champ! Excellent documentation on the restoration, too. Great reading. I brought a '63 Chevy P/U back from the dead much like that. The Willy's, my late Dad bought about 15 years ago for $200 (and was actually built by Ford). I found it in a friend's apple orchard with trees growing out of it. He restored it to full military. I dirve it occaisionally to keep what happened to your Champ from happening to it.

LOL she's now a not so slim 40 something who's just emigrated to Austrailia.

I have not progressed that much as the log stopped when my Daughter was born.   I'll get back to it oneday.   These things are neat but very thirsty(8mpg or so) But the Rolls Royce engine is fantastic.   Oneday I want to try the 5 gears available in REVERSE!

Wayne...

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Got some goodies in this week to enable me to carry on with these projects

A couple of I-PAC4 keyboard encoders for softkeys etc on both machines.

Some of those Silicone Keyboards which I hope to make rigid with a machined bezel.

Finally these Beauties.

Cubloc microcontrollers. first pic is the sudy board which I will use to test out the modbus connection and my macro's.

The other item is the CUSB-36R which is a pcb based DIN rail mounting PLC with loads of I/O  (48 pins in total) including DAC's ADC relay outputs, 5-24v Opto isolated inputs, etc etc, all for $164

Wayne....

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:57:02 PM by fdos »

Hood

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 03:13:44 PM »
Looks interesting Wayne, be sure to let us know how you get on with them. Price certainly sounds good.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
Well so far so good, just been playing with writing to the 4x20 display with the cubloc.   

It's quite a powerful little device. the basic is fast and has loads of features.   The beauty of it is the basic and ladder can run concurrently and share data between them.

Wayne....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:17:33 PM by fdos »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2007, 08:06:02 PM »
The parts look good Wayne,
     I'm interested in seeing how this goes as well. Keep up the good work.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!