Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:07:26 AM

Author Topic: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S  (Read 111475 times)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2006, 06:33:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments.   Not much to update this thread about, but I hope to change that in the next few weeks.

It's just my other retrofit (see the Leadwell thread) has been busy in production and I have had no spare time at all to get back onto the Hardinge.

Your's is a HXL? So the Mark Centry control version?   the -S in HXL-S was the Siemens control version, slightly update with larger enclosures etc.

I really wanted a 16C CHNC but ended up with this!

I have another Hardinge too, a 5C HCT which was retrofitted from NEW in 1969 with a plugboard control.  I retrofitted it again about 7 years ago with Ahha software.

Wayne....

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
Mark,
 If you get to go in May, let me know.

Brett
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:44:48 AM by Hood »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2006, 12:52:18 AM »

I hope it's ok to post web sites here. I have a home shop at www.SternbachMachine.com

If not, my apologies to the moderator, and please strike it dead if you so choose.

I just added a LeBlond Makino mill with 4th axis to the shop but haven't gotten pics of it on the site yet.

I am definitely visiting London and surrounding areas. My friends (who were born there), who invited my wife and I were here tonight and we were going over a map. We'll be staying in Dorking, but they have a relative up near the border (forget the name of the town) and I am urging them strongly that we need to see Scotland :) Will be there for two weeks, just need to cement dates and airfares.

Wayne, yep definitely an HXL, GE 1050 POS with the typical tool turret problems. Intersting about the HXL-S. I didn't know that. I had used an HXL with the CRT display (16C, absolute pristine condition) back when I worked for IBM and I was kind of blinded  by love when I bought this machine sight unseen. The iron is in excellent condition, electronics not so, and my electronic skills are lacking, but I'm learning. I have to, I can't afford to have someone fix it LOL

BTW, Happy New Year to y'all :)

Mark
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:45:24 AM by Hood »
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 11:01:46 AM »
Amen Brett.

Wayne, yep definitely an HXL, GE 1050 POS with the typical tool turret problems. Intersting about the HXL-S. I didn't know that. I had used an HXL with the CRT display (16C, absolute pristine condition) back when I worked for IBM and I was kind of blinded  by love when I bought this machine sight unseen. The iron is in excellent condition, electronics not so, and my electronic skills are lacking, but I'm learning. I have to, I can't afford to have someone fix it LOL

My HXL-S was actually built in the UK so maybe thats why they are so different.  My old 5C machine was also UK built in the original Feltham factory before Hardinge UK moved to the west country where the HXL-S was made.

What problems you had with the turret?  Not indexing properly?   

These turrets are very fussy about setup, and as the seals wear they often need adjustment especially the Air Cushion.   It's one of the reasons I had decided to renew all the valves and other gear in the valve drawer.  Also the O rings for the crosslide manifold are all new.

If you get around to retrofitting it, I have a fair insight into how it all works and it's sequencing requirements.   Does you valve setup look like the ones in the pics earlier?

Wayne....
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 06:44:21 PM »
Hey Wayne.

The problems with my turret started when I bought the machine. It didn't work at all, no grunt, no nothing, so I took it apart to investigate. What I found was that the plastic "rack" with the gear teeth on it and magnets at the end was broken in two pieces. Long story about contacting Hardinge and getting screwed out of used one they had, and being told a new one would be $500 and a 17 week wait, I wound up making my own. That's been fine. Then every once in a while, (after I thought I had it all adjusted perfectly because it was working fine) it would miss a 90 degree index (more like 100 degrees and jam up) or sometimes not index far enough. I am familiar with the set up procedure, I just think the entire design is (to say nicely) screwed up. I've checked the o-rings and such, and *think* I have the pawl adjusted properly, though I'm not convinced it's working right because there's very little adjustment. I also get a lot of air escaping from the tiny filter in the cross slide (I think that's normal, but I still hate that lol) My compressor thanks me when I shut the machine down.

Here is a link to some misc pics:

http://www.sternbachmachine.com/misc%20pics.htm

down towrds the bottom are some pics of repairs I've done on the HXL. You can see the valve assembly (sort of) in one of them. I found a bad coil there about 2 years ago (collet closer I believe).

Retro fitting it may be a little beyond my capabilities, but I also believe it's the best option.

Mark
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2006, 07:57:00 PM »
The valves on yours are different and in a different location, but similar, the flow switch for the tailstock is the same.

Re the turret, are the 4 springs and balls (sprag clutch) still at the base of the turret?   They can be easily lost by the unwary ;)  I remember when I first took off my turret and didn't realise they were there!

I don't actually have any drawings of the turret assembly (do you?)  I think the nylon rack is just there to operate the hall switch.

Did you see the little vid I did of my turret earlier in the thread?   Mine alway overshot a little but by less that one tooth on the location device.  It's ok now the air cushion is better adjusted.

Wayne...
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 12:58:59 AM »

Re the turret, are the 4 springs and balls (sprag clutch) still at the base of the turret? They can be easily lost by the unwary ;) I remember when I first took off my turret and didn't realise they were there!

I don't actually have any drawings of the turret assembly (do you?) I think the nylon rack is just there to operate the hall switch.

Did you see the little vid I did of my turret earlier in the thread? Mine alway overshot a little but by less that one tooth on the location device. It's ok now the air cushion is better adjusted.

Wayne...

Yep, all the parts and pieces were there when I took it apart and are back in. I don't have drawings per se, but I do have the maintenance manual. And you are correct, the nylon rack is for the magnets to activate hall switches. What a job it was reverse engineering it. If you ever need one, I drew it up and saved it.

I missed the video of yours but am trying to find it now.

Mark
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »
Wayne,

Finally got a look at your video. It's a "thing of beauty and a joy forever" when things work properly.

If I may ask, where would I start, to learn about retro fitting mine? I am convinced that Mach is the way to go software-wise, but the hardware is confusing.

Mark
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »
Mark, Nice set up!

FWIW your SB 9" is a model C. Model A has the Quickchange and power crossfeed.
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
Thank you for your kind words Macona!

And for the correction! All these years.... and I thought it was an "A". Color me embarrassed LOL (and always willing to learn!)

Mark