Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:51:27 AM

Author Topic: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S  (Read 111477 times)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2006, 01:55:05 PM »
Well Santa came early with the new 5port valves for the hardinge.

The only trouble is the old git also gave me a bill for 550 UKP (about $900 US)   So much for being good!

These SMC valves are cute though, much nicer made than the Mead stuff already in the machine.   At least the new ones are mainly all alloy not Glass filled Nylon like the Mead ones.

Hood

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 05:29:47 PM »
Have you made any progress with the lathe?
  I still dont have mine but I should be getting it around the middle of next month as that is the date I have for moving into the new unit.
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 05:48:51 PM »
Hood, Only what you see above, plus I've been getting ready to fit the new 5 port valves.   Although they cost me a fair bit, I'm pleased I shouldn't have to worry about them leaking for a long time!

A lot of the nylon tubing in the valve cabinet is being changed for new Polyurethane stuff, more flexible, and easier to route.

Turret encoder has a new cable attatched and will go back on next week.

Z axis motor now fitted to the machine on it's new mount, and the pulleys line up perfectly now.

Jobs still to do are many!   But fortunately not so much more money!   In actual fact when finished about 90% of the electronics etc will be all brand new.   Only things still original will be the Iron and a fair bit of the Pneumatic tubing.   Even the windows will be new!

Wayne....
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2006, 07:01:18 AM »
Wayne, you do a great job with the machines that you have done! I wish I had the time to do that! looks like great fun...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2006, 08:39:06 AM »
Thanks Brian...   I tend to go over the top sometimes, but that comes with being a fussy bugger!

It's just I have to rely on these machines to earn a living, and taking shortcuts only come bite your ass later..

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2006, 05:31:41 PM »
How are the Teknix drives working out for you ?
 I am going to have to go Rutex as my motors need more than the Teknix or Geckos can deliver :(
Hood

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2006, 06:10:27 PM »
Re the teknix drives.

So far so good, although this week I've been too busy doing paying work to get anymore time on the Hardinge.   Always the same at end of month:(

Next test is to try the drive on the Z axis, and see how fast it really can go!

Call me cynical but I often wonder if the Rutex drive is really capable of delivering the current they claim.  There does seem to be a fair few people who have blown them up when reaching machine limits.

Wayne...

Hood

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2006, 06:33:03 PM »
Thanks for the info, I am wondering if I should just go with the Teknix. The guy who knows about these motors recommends that I go for 130V and 40 Amps but if Rutex are possibly overstating their capabilities it might be better to just settle for a bit less torque and speed. I think with the 25Amps that the Teknix drives can deliver I will have a torque of around 16Nm, not sure if this will be enough or not.

Hood
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »
Hi Gents :)

Just popping in to say "Bravo!" to fdos for his brilliant work on the HXL!

Also extending a warm hello to Hood! LTNS! Don't see you on the PM board much these days.

fdos, I have an HXL, too, a 1983 model. I stumbled onto this thread via a google search. I've been a member here for a while, but never posted much. I think that may change :) I looked into Mach a while back to retrofit an older mill but managed to get it working so I slacked off. I'm thinking that Mach would be an excellent choice for retro fit on my old Hardinge. Hood was instrumental in educating me about geckos and rutex and stuff.

Hood, my visit to the UK is looking good for the first two weeks of May. Would love to swing up there to see you if you're up for it.

Good luck with the HXL fdos! Got any updated pictures?

Mark
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.

Hood

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
Hi Mark, yes no problem, might even be finished my lathe retro by then :)
Hood