Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 02:29:22 AM

Author Topic: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S  (Read 111465 times)

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Retrofit. Hardinge HXL-S
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »
The turret was put back on this morning after letting the Epoxy set overnight.

It all works OK, so I spent a couple of hours wiring all the other sensors to the PLC. Also all the Solenoid valves were connected up to the PLC too.

A little time spent checking all the signals were getting to the PLC and having all the correct polarities ie 1's and 0's where I thought they ought to be !

So far so good.   Time to setup Modbus on that PC and install my M6 macro and the M20,21 macro's. 

It ALL works!! What a treat to see the turret indexing without manually operating the 5 port valves.  Fairly quick too.  The Collet opens and closes OK too (M21,20)   

Wayne.....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
I just can't seem to put this thing down at the moment, which I suppose is good.  Though I'm determined to run a real job on the Hardinge this w/e.

Todays work has made that more practical.   Yet another pcb made, this one interfaces with the PLC and also takes the DIYCNC Spindle2 board (Step/dir to Voltage converter) as a piggyback board.   I haven't taken a picture yet as it's all still strewn over the floor in a test setup!   But it all works, and I now have software control over the spindle.

I found that although the Siemens MM440 VFD I'm using as a spindle drive was all ok operated from it's keypad, but under analogue control I could ony get speeds upto 50Hz.   A quick delve into the VAST manuals suggested the ADC input required scaling, and there are several parameters involved!   After a lot of fiddling I have speeds upto 4000rpm and fairly linear.  Linearity I will tune some more later.  Upto about 1800 rpm it's always within about 10 rpm of commanded, but gains slightly at higher speeds, although always within 100 rpm.

Wayne.....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »
Had a few issues with the machine this w/e but hopefully we are over those now.

Here's another quick video showing the machine cutting it's first job as part of the shakedown.

Wayne.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XPHUgdHlcP0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XPHUgdHlcP0&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;&gt;</a>
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:50:40 PM by fdos »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2008, 07:17:51 AM »
Very good Wayne. Its looking good and very tidy so far.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2008, 06:00:20 AM »
Thanks Brett.   Still a way to go yet.    Looking forward to the day I can replace all the covers and start on the user interface.

A Job I'm not looking forward to is fitting the new windows in the doors.  I have the replacement Polycarbonate ready though.  The doors are the only thing I didn't have powdercoated from the upper enclosure, so they will need painting too after reglazing.   Have to be wet paint though ;)

Wayne.....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2008, 12:06:18 PM »
Last night decided to bite the bullet and pull the whole turret assy apart to clean it all up and fit the brand new Genuine Hardinge (But oh so expensive!) seal kit.

It was obvious why the machine consumed so much air.   All the quad rings bar about 2 were very worn and so brittle none came off without breaking into little pieces.

The main Index cylinder had a nasty score down it's bore too.  Probably the result of a sloppy bit of maintainance  in it's past.   I had to make a new one (Pic linked) and was lucky to find a big enough piece of brass to make a replacement as I dont do much larger brass work.  The cylinder is 1 3/4" bore and 2" ok x 3" long.

I'm happy to report the turret assy is now silent when air is turned on!  It also indexes a lot smoother after having a good service.   I ran about 20 cycles of the above Derin part in air and the compressor never kicked in once.   It was refilling every 2 1/2 parts before!

Wayne......

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
The trouble with projects that take so long is you sometimes mislay the odd item!

I was going to spend this morning putting the covers back on the machine as I want to use it tomorrow with coolant on.   Obviously I knew where the covers were as they are kind of hard to lose!   But the screws!!   I spent all morning looking for a container I was sure they were in, but ended up taking all morning tidying up in the hope of finding them.

A friend turns up and finds them within 5 minutes!  They were not in the container I thought they were in after all.

Anyway a couple of tubes of caulking and this is where I'm at today.

Wayne.....

Offline fdos

•  326 326
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »
This will probably be the last update for a while, well until there is something of a more technical nature to show.   Probably when I get to the user i/f stuff and the custom turn screens for this machine.

It now has to earn its keep for at least another week or two!

The Delrin job in the recent video didn't really task the machine much, though the machine tasked me for a day or so;)

Todays job was more like it though, and all that clean paintwork is dirty inside again!   A nice steel job which I've made for many years, but a first for this Hardinge.   You can just make out the Gang tool holder I made for station 1 on sunday.  It holds a 20mm stub drill, and a 16mm boring bar in this pic, although it can hold 3 16mm round shank tools.

Wayne.....

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
Brovo Wayne!!!!!!! Very good.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2008, 09:15:07 AM »
Bravo Wayne! Looking VERY good and gives me faith in mine! Just here to let you know the link worked, thank you for sending. Can't wait to start reading from the beginning again :)

Mark
Don't try to outwierd me, six eyes. I get stranger things than you in my breakfast cereal.