Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:57:00 AM

Author Topic: Z axis motor mount........  (Read 3385 times)

Z axis motor mount........
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
I am upgrading my cnc aluminum rail system to linear bearings. I am first making a AUTOCAD model of it in autodesk inventor. And spend as much time as i can with the design before i start building. I have decide not to change the y axis to keep the $$$ down. Also be using wood. here is what i got so far.

Q- Any good design for mounting the motor for z axis? (pic or link perhaps be good)
Q-Q-links to cheap aluminum sheet or what other material to use?

Thanks & have a wonderful day:)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Z axis motor mount........
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:22 AM »
Hi CNCexplorer,

No matter what you do, there will always be something better and so everything has to be a compromise. However, I would suggest that you go for 'fully supported' rails on the X axis (if not both X and Z) - there is not that much difference in price.

Although wood is easy machining if you start V-Carving then 'chatter' or tool vibration can spoil the work so rigidity is an important consideration here and unsupported rails (less than about 25mm dia.) can flex a lot more than you would think.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Z axis motor mount........
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

Although wood is easy machining if you start V-Carving then 'chatter' or tool vibration can spoil the work so rigidity is an important consideration here and unsupported rails (less than about 25mm dia.) can flex a lot more than you would think.

Thanks a lot tweakie for that info. Very helpful
U have a great machining day ;)