Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:22:22 PM

Author Topic: Very Cool LED/Button Combo  (Read 13909 times)

Very Cool LED/Button Combo
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »
Perhaps this has been done, but I haven't seen it....  You can make a very cool combo button LED by doing the following

1) I'm most of you know this part, but....  Create a graphic file containing two side-by-side images of the same size.  When this graphic is assigned to an LED, the left-hand image will be displayed when the LED is off, and the right-hand image will be displayed when the LED is on.  If the LED is configured to blink, the display will toggle between the two images.

2) Create an LED using the above graphic, and overlay that with a graphic button, with the image file assigned to a transparent .png file with no color data - i.e. - a blank, but transparent, image.  You now have a button that can have two completely different graphics depending on whether the corresponding variable is on or off.

The attached simple screen demonstrates this.  The left-most button changes color when the corresponding variable is set.  The middle button blinks in a different color when the corresponding variable is set.  The right-most is a photo I took of one of the dashboard toggle switches on my '64 Jaguar E-Type.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: Very Cool LED/Button Combo
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »
Ooopsie!  I didn't include the bitmaps, etc.  The attached should do it.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I used a ton of those on this screen. Well over 100 png's. There are no standard LED's in the set, everything is two state .png's
I added a "glow" effect so they look like they light up when on.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10009.msg66106.html#msg66106

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:41:29 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble Ray, but screen designers have been doing this forever.  ;D ;D

Even the standard Mach screen has half a dozen two state buttons.

Greg
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »
Sorry to burst your bubble Ray, but screen designers have been doing this forever.  ;D ;D

Even the standard Mach screen has half a dozen two state buttons.

Greg

Greg,

"Even the standard Mach screen has half a dozen two state buttons." - Where?  I don't see any....  I see lots of separate LEDs, and a few buttons with the LEDs surrounding the buttons, but none like I described.  I didn't think it was a new idea, but one that new folk may not have seen, or had explained.  I worked with Scream4 for several days before realizing I could do this.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
Yeah it is a great feature and works really well.

For instance I have a very bright Estop/Reset button that flashes red and yellow.  Very hard to miss.   :)

In fact I have this sort of thing all over my screen sets.  Get a bit carried away now and then.  ;D

If you look in the bitmaps folder for the standard MachMill graphics you will see the two state graphics I mentioned.

If you want it to simply change, then select "red/green"  and if you want flashing, then select "red/green flashing"

Benny has a video explaining how to make two state graphics using Real Draw Pro.  It can be found in the video tutorials section.

Greg

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 08:15:36 PM »
One other thing that it is worth mentioning in this thread of Ray's for the information
of readers who might be wanting to try this two state LED idea.

When placing two state LED and placing an Image Button over the top you must assign a transparent PNG image to the Image Button.

Otherwise the two state change or flashing will not work. 

That little quirck has had many a first time screen designer scratching his head.  Me included.  ;D

This to my knowledge has not been documented.

Greg
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »
One other thing that it is worth mentioning in this thread of Ray's for the information
of readers who might be wanting to try this two state LED idea.

When placing two state LED and placing an Image Button over the top you must assign a transparent PNG image to the Image Button.

Otherwise the two state change or flashing will not work. 

That little quirck has had many a first time screen designer scratching his head.  Me included.  ;D

This to my knowledge has not been documented.

Greg

Greg,

And that's the part that had me stumped for a bit.  Actually, for a blinking LED, you can leave the button with no graphic assigned.  The very first blink may not be correct, but it's gone so fast you'll never notice, and after the first it'll work fine.  But if it's not blinking, you can be left with the display incorrect unless you click the button very quickly.  That's where the transparent PNG comes in.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 09:04:27 PM »
When you are editing one of these two level button/leds how do you select the LED if you want to edit it? All I have found is to select the button, drag it out of place, then I can select the LEd. But then its messy to get the button re-aligned.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:54 PM »
I write down the coordinates before moving it, so it's easy to get it back where it was. But that's the way I do it too. :(
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html