Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:14:50 PM

Author Topic: My first attempt at a CNC build.  (Read 63734 times)

Re: My first attempt at a CNC build.
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »
Jammerm, we seem to have ended up at about the same step in construction/ installation with the same sort of questions.
If you think you can't do it, you're right.
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 01:23:10 PM »
I bought most of my machine in pieces. The 3 axis set up was some old medical equipment so I just altered it a little and built a frame for it. I got Mach 3 and a used computer and that was easy to set up. I bought a 4 axis control board and an e-stop board that just plugged together and a power supply from the same surplus place as the 3 axis gantry. Now I'm just trying to get the brain to talk to the machine. It will come together, I'm trying to take my time so I don't forget something. I would just like to get it finished so I can make something. My wife was just skeptical, but now she's moving into total doubt. :'(
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
Over from BYMC right?
If you think you can't do it, you're right.
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Yes, Jammer was taken so I added an M. :)
Your trying to put a bridgeport back to CNC?
My wires were all cut also, FrankG told me how to tell which way to wire them.
I'm not sure of the difference between steppers and servos.
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 11:06:12 AM »
Well, I went around in circles for a couple days, then it all just seemed to come together. I've got the motor ends all wired and ran back through the wire track stuff, I got it at the surplus place, too. It would have gone a lot faster if I hadn't kept wrapping the wire around the frame or lead screws, then I'd have to pull it all out an start over. :-[ You would think I'd learn after once or twice. ::)
I still have to decide how I'm going to mount the limit switches. The X axis was pretty easy but the Y and Z don't have a clear spot to mount them, so I'll probably have to make a bracket.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi Jammerm,

Coming on well - keep up the good work and thanks for posting the pictures of your progress.
I think we all learn a lot from seeing the way other people have tackled what are essentially the same problems and obstacles we all have.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
I made the power cord for the little router to be just an extention cord. So I can unplug it and put in a bigger router or a Dremal, or whatever. Maybe a 120V Laser. ;D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »
Don't want to worry you but my CO2 laser runs at 16,000 Volts.  ;D (perhaps you meant 120 Watts).

Good idea about making provision at this stage for possibly changing spindles in the future.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
I did build a Helium Neon Laser for a high school science project. It was 120 volt in and the output was 1150 volts I think. I still have it, but it doesn't work any more. It is over 36 years old. :o
It was a Popular Electronics build.
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Well after over 2 years I'm finally making some time to work on my CNC machine. Basically running wires and changing the tool holder some. The bottom of the holder was getting in the way so I made a bracket so I can drop it down some. I cut the part from pink foam and then cast it as a lost foam casting. Just bury the foam in sand and pour the hot metal in. The foam burns up and the metal fills the space. After I cleaned it up it looks pretty good. I'll get some more pictures.

My little Electric Furnace with a crucible full of Aluminum.