Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 08:15:51 PM

Author Topic: compatibility questions  (Read 3327 times)

compatibility questions
« on: January 14, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »
hi all

i've seen that SS can output to 4MHz! how does this relate to the kernel speed setting in mach 3? if i go beyond 45 kHz on my pc, the driver becomes unreliable. I use ac servo on the x and z axis with 10 000 pulse/rev, right now i have to use electronic gearing with a ratio of 10 to 1 so i can get decent speed on the axes. how does SS handles that? my lathe has a 6 ppr sensor can it be hooked on the SS? i also have a campbell design breakout board with spindle speed control, any compatibility issues?

that makes for a lot of questions!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: compatibility questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »
With the PP and the kernel speed the problem is most people can as you have found only get 45KHz reliably, I had this problem but now I have the SS its no longer an issue :)
 Like you I have high count encoders and was using electronic gearing of the drives, i didnt like the cogging at low speeds of anything higher than 2:1 geraing so that meant my rapids were limited to 3300mm/min, with the SS I run it at 10,000mm/min but have had it double that but due to the weight of the axis I have turned back to 10,000 which is still double the original spec of the lathe.
 If you ge a SS then make sure you set the drives gearing back to 1:1 as I had some slight positional errors when I was first testing the SS on the lathe, I had left the gearing as I was jumping back and forth between the SS and PP.
 Dont think you should have any problems with the BOB but dont have one so cant say for sure and the 6ppr sensor should be fine, the SS can read fast enough to see the short pulse of an encoders Index, something the PP couldnt do.

Hood