Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:29:40 AM

Author Topic: mach3 setup for newbie  (Read 5433 times)

mach3 setup for newbie
« on: September 27, 2007, 09:30:12 PM »
just completed 3-axis mill machine, using xylotex drives - all working o.k using limit/home switches (3 inputs only) on all axis. When using ref home command
all goes to home as per expected - upper left. When moving off axis I have to put "G0 X-1" etc (nagative numbers). O.K with that if I go 'G0 X-10 Y-10" and then
use work offset set to -10 -10 I can then use 'G0 X+1'. When using WRITE plugin the text is reversed (well as if routied on underside of board) even though
screen shows text in correct format/direction as job is run - confused as to what is going on?  Sorry if I am redundant question.   :-\ thanks

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
Re: mach3 setup for newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:32:03 PM »
From another newbie here:

I have found that some gcode assumes that the x,y home (0,0) is in the upper left, and some gcode files assume that it is in the lower left. If you find that one or all of your axis are in the wrong direction, you can easily change the direction of the motors to accomodate this by clicking on "config" at the top of the page and then "motor reversals"

choose which axxis you want to change the direction of, and start again.

works for me :)
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:08:02 AM »
thanks for suggestion - I will try today. In general then, once in Home position, to move an axis it is a negative number "G0 X-1" for example. Or should it be positive,
does this mean my motor is reversed direction?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:32:51 AM »
Hey Guys,
    Glad you are making head way with your machines. I need to clear up something for you I think. A - or + move of any axis should allways move the axis in the - or + direction. The problem you will have if you change motor directions to accomadte a certain code is this. If you are cutting a square or circle out, no big deal right. But if the square or circle had to be posotioned to something else, it won't be. Writing can become inverted. Insted of changing your motor direction, change your home location or set the home position in your Gcode. Look at this thread, it may help some.

http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/forum/index.php?topic=2560.0

stick your left hand in front of you, point your thumb up, first finger ahead and second to the right, that is the +ve direction of the three axis (Thumb is z, first is y and second is X)

Also remember that it is the tool direction and not the workpiece/table. so  on a mill, quill going up is Z+ve, table towards you is Y+ve and table to left is x +ve

Hood

Hope this helps,
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!