Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:35:35 PM

Author Topic: Profile Shape Wizard (multi-shapes)  (Read 9232 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Profile Shape Wizard (multi-shapes)
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
Hello,

Here is another "Profile Shape Wizard", based on the work in the Ellipse Wizard.  This one is an expansion on the ellipse wizard. It has some "Quick create" shape buttons, and you will see it has a variable sided "Polygon" shape button. You just enter the number of sides you want, and it creates that object with that many sides........ The only cavat is, the number of sides you choose must divide evenly into 360, otherwize you will get a "Gap" in the shape in the "remainder" part.

This just "draws" a tool path of the shape only, it doesnt "Hollow it out".

Download the folder: "Profile Shapes.zip", and Just unzip, and copy and paste the folder "Profile Shapes" into your addons folder of Mach.

Scott
fun times

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
Re: Profile Shape Wizard (multi-shapes)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:44:51 PM »
Scott, I saw your wizards and wondered how they might be applied to turn, for a roughing wizard from a DXF file. Mach3 turn will import a DXF file, but can then only machine the final profile, which is next to useless as it won't rough it beforehand. Mach3 mill has all these wonderful pocket, etc wizards which have to rough, by nature, but this is missing in turn. I can do this, sort of, in my CAM system, but most CAM systems are poor with turning operations and hard to use, if at all useful. I have asked about this issue on these forums from time to time and never get anywhere, I am willing to pay to have this done if I am the only one that wants it within reason.
   DaveA.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:15:09 AM »
Dalgie,

Brian is working on the "Lazy Cam" stuff in Mach, I think he has started on the Lathe fuctions as well.

For me, I use a bit of a higher end CAM, I use OneCNC XR2 Lathe Pro, and Mill Expert for all my CAM work.

do create G-code from a CAD file you will need some type of CAM system, the programming involved in CAM is far, far, far, past what I can do.......
there are usefull Lathe shape wizards in the Mach Lathe package.

scott
fun times

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »
I have access to Surfcam at work, which I would have thought would be good, but it's a real pain to use. The thing is, the lathe wizards are very good and if two user profile wizards were added it would be complete. Really a replacement for the G71 roughing cycle and the G73 reentrant cycle is all that's needed. I know it's some work, but there is so much going into Lazycam for mills, and there are quite a few of us on here with lathes now. Squeaky wheel gets the oil...?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
If you want an easy to use Lathe CAM get OneCNC XR2 Lathe, it is super simple to use, (like using microsoft office).
the regular I think is around 1500, and pro around 3k...........it has been awhile since I got mine, so I dont know what current prices are.

The current Lathe Wizards (and the ones that I make), all do stuff with G-code based on know shapes. If you get into user dxfs then the profiles will may be other than a sijmpl cirle, elips or what ever.  YOu need to be able to follow the line/curve and for that you would need some CAD/CAM type functionality. Again the programming for that is WAY beyond what I know, and it would need to be done as a stand alone product.

Email Brian and ask him about your needs, Lazy CAM is progressing all the time, he needs your feedback on what you want in lazy cam.
The VB that Mach understands is Cypress Enable which is a scripting laungauge, it is not a full laungauge, to do visual enviroments.

scott
fun times