Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:27:01 PM

Author Topic: CSMIO/IP-M observations  (Read 8308 times)

CSMIO/IP-M observations
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »
I just got a my first CSMIO/IP-M controller (and hopefully not last as the product itself looks promising).

I have some other questions to CS-LAB in addition to concerns listed below and they have promised to answer as soon as I will clear some space in to my mailbox as their mails have gotten rejected due to my full mailbox.
However, in a mean while I was thinking to have comments also from other users to following concerns that are not too clear to me. So if somebody experienced (or otherwise knows the product) could clarify few things tried to describe below:

CSMIO/IP-M manual p.4 says
"Inputs/outputs signals are inside optically isolated, filtered, protected against short circuit, overheating etc."
However, manual's p.12 says:
"Pay special attention during connection because STEP/DIR signals are not protected against short circuit and voltage higher than 5V!"
How is it, are these IOs protected e.g. against short circuit or not?

I have some troubles to get motors turning when I have connected all four differential output signals (step+, step-, dir+, dir-) from controller to stepper driver (like illustrated on manual's page 19). In other words, motor do not spin. So I started to try something on Mach’s motor output configuration.

Going back to page 12, there are the description of the pins and signals. Are the signals fixed or can these be configured in Mach like it is the case with LPT-port? To me it looks the configuration has no effect on outputs. As an example, an X-axis step signal is connected to pin#2 by default, but I cannot e.g. configure the x-axis dir to pin #3. No matter what I have configured in Mach, dir signal goes to pin #1.

So, this did not wake up my motors. Let’s try something else with different wiring:

In the Differential outputs manual sect. 2.1.2 under the connection example image, there is a text
"In this case, we do not use twisted cable and that is why the connection is more exposed to the influence of interferences. Shared cable (cathode) is connected to the GND of the device, in the CSMIO/IP-S it is 13th PIN of STEP/DIR connector, and in the CSMIO/IP-M we have to use the GND on 2nd PIN or ANALOG I/O 8 connector because there is no GND PIN on STEP/DIR connector."
I just cannot get the meaning of "and in the CSMIO/IP-M we have to use the GND on 2nd PIN or ANALOG I/O 8 connector
"
Where the GND can be found from, is it analog IO terminal pin #2 or pin#8 or what? (forgive me I'm not a native English speaking person, so every now and then I got confused...)

Further to the wiring, Manual p. 46 says:
While connecting the controller– e.g. for the M542 stepper motor you should connect the PUL+ signal to the 5V power and CSMIO/IP-M STEP output to the PUL- of the drive. This way – switching on the optocoupler in the M542 will be followed by the leading edge of the CSMIO/IP-M STEP signal.”
Where is this 5V taken from? From the controller pin perhaps? Is there any diagram available about this scheme?

Comments on these issues and other findings would be very much appreciated.

Input IOs seem to be working as long as the port number 10 is set. This is instructed on manual page 41. It would be nice to have this mentioned on manual’s p. 14 as well, where all DI pins signals are described.

Thanks for listening,
Juha

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: CSMIO/IP-M observations
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »
Hi,
How is it, are these IOs protected e.g. against short circuit or not?
yes only step/dir not.

Are the signals fixed or can these be configured in Mach like it is the case with LPT-port?
in Mach3 port/pin -> motor outputs only the enable axis is important rest is done in the
configuration of the cs-lab plugin.

for the wiring, you first have to figure out, witch inputs your motor controllers have,
the choose the right wiring diagram.

just cannot get the meaning of "and in the CSMIO/IP-M we have to use the GND on 2nd PIN or ANALOG I/O 8 connector"
Where the GND can be found from, is it analog IO terminal pin #2 or pin#8 or what?

CSMIO/IP_S GND at step/dir connector pin 13
CSMIO/IP_M GND at analog connector pin 2 or pin 8

Regards Thomas

also not a native English speaking person
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:52 AM »
Thomas, Thanks, I got some progress in my project.

I have several Chinese drivers that I have tried. One type is JMC 2M542.
I cannot say what sort of inputs these have, but the connection example in the manual matches with CSMIO manual. (dir+, dir-, step+ and step-). Most likely input are optoisolated though.

Like I said, there is some progress gained; I got motors running. I connected drivers minus signals to CSMIO controller's GND (DI pin #2)
But I'm still curious to know why STEP/DIR output minus signals (e.g. pins 14 and 15) do not fuction as expected.

Where can I get CSMIO/IP Motion Montroller Configuration tool?
see images on Hood's post on CSMIO/IP-A thread (2nd on p. 3).

Cheers,
Juha

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 06:26:37 AM »
Juha,

there is no tool, you have to go to main menu bar cofiguration -> configure plugin.
hope it is named so in the english version, because i have a German version.

But I'm still curious to know why STEP/DIR output minus signals (e.g. pins 14 and 15) do not fuction as expected.

CSMIO/IP controller has differential outputs and your driver has optocoupler inputs.
my english is too bad to explain the difference (hope one of the english guys will explain).

here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_signaling

is something to explain differential sgnaling

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:09:09 PM »
Juha,

there is no tool, you have to go to main menu bar cofiguration -> configure plugin.
Found, thanks again.

Are there any budget drivers having differential inputs folks use to use in their retrofits?
These cheap (should i say inexpensive) chinese versions are pushing themselves through doors and windows.

Br.
Juha
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:11:06 PM by justjuha »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
Not looked at your drives specs but Pg 5 of the differential connections manual shows how to connect to optocoupler inputs , you will find it here
http://www.cs-lab.eu/en/upload/pdf/CSMIO_IP%20EN%20differential%20outputs_rev2.pdf

Hood