Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:40:39 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone actually got a C11 to control a KB speed control via Mach?  (Read 17561 times)

Re: Has anyone actually got a C11 to control a KB speed control via Mach?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:42 AM »
Thanks nuc, that confirms the P2/F- hookup as I found in the KB manual.

Question: In the 3rd picture I see the green wire connected to P2 but what's connected to (I assume) the P1 & P2 terminals next to it with the blue & black wires.  Is that the 2 wires from the old manual pot?  Should they be left connected?  I assumed that with computer speed control via C11 the manual pot was supposed to be completely removed??

If they're not the 2 wires from the pot, what are they?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.
Has anyone actually got a C11 to control a KB speed control via Mach?
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
Hmmm... I think those may be 2 of the pot leads that I forgot to disconnect. I will have to tear it apart again and see. The pot does nothing when I turn it.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
Thanks again nuc, if it's working, please don't mess with it on my account!  All I've managed to do now is blow the fuse on my KB and vaporize a track on the C11 board.  This thing is killin' me! :-[

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Ouch!

Well, I got my replacement chips in yesterday and got them in changed out in my c11 board. Everything's working as it was before. I now have voltage being changed at the analog output.

HOWEVER, I'm not connecting anything to it until I hear back from Arturo. All I can confirm is the voltage changes as I make varying M3 speed calls.

I've already been down that road of blown traces but not on my c11, just on the KBLC-19M.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
After several emails back and forth with Arturo, I finally have success!

I now have the c11 board working with the KBLC-19M and have full control of spindle speed.

Here's what worked for me (Your Mileage May Vary):

I needed to verify the maximum voltage across Pin 1 and Pin 2 of the KB board. As stated before, I had the KB board wired to a potentiometer. Started out with the KBLC-19M not connected to the c11.

1. With NOTHING but power to the KB board AND manipulating the pot AND checking the voltage across P1 & P2 of the KB board, I read a maximum of 8Vdc. I had the maximum voltage coming out to the c11 board at 10Vdc which may have caused an over-voltage issue and toasted my chip set on the c11.

2. On the c11 board I then set the pot on the analog out to minimum voltage by rotating the pot adjustment screw fully counter-clockwise.

3. Again, WITHOUT the KB board connected to the c11, I powered up the c11.

4. In Mach3, I requested the maximum RPM (M3 S6000 for me) to match with my maximum pulley speed setting (Pulley 1 is at maximum 6000 for me). Measuring the analog output on the c11, I was only able to get the voltage down to 9Vdc.  I knew some adjustments were needed in Mach3.

5. Turned the spindle off (M5)

6. In Mach3, under Motor Tuning, I decreased my spindle velocity to 1200 units (it was at 1500 before).

7. Turned the spindle back on & pushed its speed to maximum rpm via Mach3 as in Step 4.

8. I remeasured the voltage out on the c11 and it was then reading 7Vdc.

9. I adjusted the pot on the c11 to read 8Vdc.

10. Turned the spindle off and turned all power off.

11. Disconnected all three potentiometer wires from the KBLC.

12. Connected the P1 from the KBLC to GND (Analog Out) on the c11.

13. Connected the P2 from the KBLC to 10Vdc (Analog Out) on the c11.

14. Said a prayer!

15. Powered everything up - no sparks or flashes!

16. In Mach3, requested various speeds with success.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:00:45 PM by Vogavt »
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »
Thanks, mebbe there is a Santy Clause after all! ;D 

I'm wrapped up with other stuff right now but hopefully I can duplicate your success this weekend; Lord willin' and the creek don't rise as my pappy used to say.
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 06:07:01 PM »
Well I'm back where I started.  I got the C11 0-10VDC-out terminal working again by jumping across the vaporized track.  Got the KB working by replacing the fuse; the manual pot still works fine.  So...the C11 is now workiing up & down via Mach commands and the KB is working normally.

I followed Vogavt's instructions except my KBIC-120 only measured 3.55V across P1/P2 with the pot turned wide open.  I commanded 2000 rpm in Mach, set the C11 pot to 3.55V, disconnected the manual pot, hooked up P1 to Gnd and P2 to the analog out on the C11 and did a M3S500 MDI command.  No flashy arcs but the motor instantly jerked up to WFO and no amount of Mach fiddling makes a bit of difference.

I guess I'm going to have to get one of the KBSI-5 Barrier Terminal Board Signal Isolators so I can hook up like the manual says to P2 & F-.  Anybody know how to isolate the analog out signal from the C11 from the KB without the KB expensive isolator board?  I need Mach speed control but don't want any more flashy bangs.

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 01:07:31 PM »
Dickeybird,
I dare say even though you've managed to get the jumper between the vaporized track, you've more than likely cremated some IC chips. They're relatively inexpensive from Arturo.
I had to replace mine before I could get any control on the speed changes.

Simple investment of time to replace the chips. I did purchase an IC chip extractor from Radio Shack because the first one I pulled flew out of my feeble fingers across the workbench. When I picked it up there were bent legs everywhere. This happenend in the blink of an eye.... pull, pull, nothing... pull some more... umph!...launched the chip into outer space... <Grin>

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:25 AM »
I yell & scream at my monitor many times when I search for solutions to problems and find that the threads with my exact problem just die quietly.  I guess the OP gets the fault fixed and doesn't bother to post the fix.  With that said, here's what I did for a solid fix for my C11/KBIC-120 speed control problem.

I read the KB manual more thoroughly and they stress that the voltage following connection voltage must come from an isolated source such as their KBSI-240D Signal Isolator Board to go between the process control and the KB speed controller.  I watched eBay for a while and finally won one for $34.00 shipped.  I hooked it up (via P2 and F- on the KBIC-120) as per the manual and every thing works great!  I guess I'm too electronically challenged to get my head around Arturo's many & varied instructions re: C11 & C6 speed control hookup.  The isolation thing is stressed but (IMO) there's not enough clear, step by step instructions in the C11 manual on how to achieve it.

The KBSI-240D has really nice multi-turn min/max speed pots and a few minutes of fine tuning now has my spindle speed consistently & accurately tracking all speeds I input into Mach.  HALLE-FRICK'N-LUJAH!!

Offline Vogavt

•  260 260
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
Sounds good! Thanks for posting your resolution. That should help others like you've said.

I have to agree with you on the ridicously poor documentation. Vague and confusing at best. I wonder how many other boards have been toasted. I suppose that's why he sells a set of chips ready to go. Scratching my head going "hmmm" on that one.